Surf Wise Level 3 Beginner Surfer
Ride a broken or green wave on an angle (trimming) in surf up to 1 ½ ft.
ASI Level 3 Beginner Surfer is able to:
- Identify surfing hazards
- Identify suitable weather conditions for surfing
- Identify the types of waves suitable for surfing
- Choose a safe surfing location
- Identify how to look after the surfing environment
- Ride a beginner softboard
- Choose a beginners surfboard
- Wax, care, carry and store your board
- Identify types of wetsuits and surf clothing, when to wear these
- Choose a safe place to enter the water
- Negotiate small waves using a variety of techniques
- Paddle the board in trim
- Turn the surfboard in a sitting position
- Use safe wipe-out and dismount techniques
- Identify correct surfing etiquette (drop in rule, snaking, good surfing ethics)
- Ride a broken or green wave on an angle (trimming)
- Perform small turns
Experience Surfing at:
- beach breaks with sand bottom
- surf 1 ½ ft
- free from rips and hazards
Have Level 2 Beginner Surfer skills and competence.
From Level 2 Beginner Surfer, it takes approximately 10-20 hours to acquire Level 3 Beginner surfer skills.
ASI Learn to Surf for Beginners manual
ASI Learn to Surf for Beginners student workbook or logbook
Surf Wise Course - Level 3 module
5 sessions (1- 2 hrs each session) + practice
You must already be a competent Level 2 Beginner Surfer.
Learn how to trim on broken or green waves, perform small turns and correct surfing etiquette including the drop in rule.
It will take approximately 10-20 hours of additional practice to learn these skills.
Resources: ASI Learn to Surf Beginner Level Manual & ASI Surf Wise Level Beginner Surfer Student Workbook or Logbook.
Certificate Issue: ASI Level 3 Beginner Surfer Participation Certificate.
Book into a Surf Wise Course