Surf Wise Level 2 Beginner Surfer
This is the first step in learning to surf. Ride a broken wave straight into the shore in surf up to 1 ½ ft.
ASI Level 2 Beginner Surfer is able to:
- Identify surfing hazards
- Identify suitable weather conditions for surfing
- Identify the types of waves suitable for surfing
- Choose a safe surfing location
- Identify how to look after the surfing environment
- Ride a beginner softboard
- Choose a beginners surfboard
- Wax, care, carry and store your board
- Identify types of wetsuits and surf clothing, when to wear these
- Choose a safe place to enter the water
- Negotiate small waves using a variety of techniques
- Paddle the board in trim
- Turn the surfboard in a sitting position
- Use safe wipe-out and dismount techniques
- Identify correct surfing etiquette -
- Select, catch and ride broken waves, going straight to shore, with safety
Experience Surfing at:
- beach breaks with sand bottom
- surf 1 ½ ft
- free from rips and hazards
Have surf safety and awareness skills
Swim 200 metres, without stopping
Tread water for 5 minutes
It takes approximately 10-20 hours to acquire Level 2 Beginner surfer skills.
ASI Learn to Surf for Beginners manual
ASI Learn to Surf for Beginners student workbook or logbook
Surf Wise Course - Level 2 module
5 sessions (1- 2 hrs each session) + practice
Learn how to identify surfing hazards, types of waves, choose a suitable beginner surfing location, choosing a beginner board, surf clothing, how to safely enter the water, negotiate small waves, paddle board in trim, wipe and dismount safely and ride broken waves straight into shore.
It will take approximately 10-20 hours of additional practice to learn these skills.
Resources: ASI Learn to Surf Beginner Level Manual & ASI Surf Wise Level Beginner Surfer Student Workbook or Logbook.
Certificate Issue: ASI Level 2 Beginner Surfer Participation Certificate.
Book into a Surf Wise Course