Level 5 Intermediate Surfer
Demonstrate ability to control the surfboard and link top and bottom turns (forehand and backhand) at beach breaks, in 3 feet (1 metre) surf.
ASI Level 5 Intermediate Surfer is able to:
- Predict surfing conditions based on weather, swell, tides, wind direction/speed
- Identify how to read waves by understanding different water conditions, wave types, and their suitability for surfing, left and right waves, wave frequency
- Identify 5 different types of surf breaks (breach, point, reef, river mouth, bombora)
- Select a surfing location for the intermediate surfer
- Surf on fibreglass short or long board & leash
- Read tide charts
- Identify how parts of your board affect performance
- Identify the different types of fins and fin systems
- Identify surfboard damage
- Choose a surfboard for the intermediate surfer based on personal style and the surfing conditions
- Identify surfing safety and assistance clothing
- Choose a suitable place for entering and exiting the water
- Identify the different types of rips and how to use them to advantage
- Negotiate broken and unbroken waves using the duck dive
- Identify correct paddling out protocol
- Choose the correct waves to ride
- Identify the correct take off position.
- Ride a wave, understanding how body weight and speed affect surfing
- Identify how to turn your board
- Identify methods to get off the wave
- Wipe-out safely at the intermediate level
Perform Surfing Manoeuvres:
- Trimming (forehand and backhand)
- Bottom turn (forehand and backhand)
- Top turn (forehand and backhand)
- Link above surfing manoeuvres, demonstrating control
Experience Surfing at:
- beach breaks
- surf 3 ft (1 metre)
- free from hazards
Have Level 4 Intermediate Surfer skills and competence.
From Level 4 Intermediate Surfer, it takes approximately 250-500 hours to acquire Level 5 Intermediate surfer skills.
ASI Learn to Surf for Intermediate Level manual
ASI Surf Wise Level 4 & 5 Learn to Surf Intermediate Level Student Workbook
ASI Surf Wise Level 4 & 5 Learn to Surf Intermediate Level Logbook
Surf Wise Course - Level 5 module only
8 sessions (1-2 hrs each session) + practice
You must already be a competent Level 4 Intermediate Surfer.
Learn about your surfing equipment and how it affects your performance. How to perform bottom turns and top turns on backhand, demonstrate control, link forehand and backhand surfing manoeuvres.
It will take approximately 250-500 hours of additional practice to learn these skills.
Resources: ASI Learn to Surf Intermediate Level Manual & ASI Surf Wise Level 5 Learn to Surf Intermediate Level Student Workbook or Logbook.
Certificate Issue: ASI Level 5 Intermediate Surfer Participation Certificate.
Book into a Surf Wise Course