Level 4 Intermediate Surfer
The next step up from Beginner level. Negotiate and read the waves and perform top and bottom turns on your forehand.
ASI Level 4 Intermediate Surfer is able to:
- Predict surfing conditions based on weather, swell, tides, wind direction/speed
- Identify how to read waves by understanding different water conditions, wave types, and their suitability for surfing, left and right waves, wave frequency
- Identify 5 different types of surf breaks (breach, point, reef, river mouth, bombora)
- Select a surfing location for the intermediate surfer
- Choose a suitable place for entering and exiting the water at beach breaks
- Identify the different types of rips and how to use them to advantage
- Negotiate broken and unbroken waves using the duck dive
- Identify correct paddling out protocol
- Choose the correct waves to ride
- Identify the correct take off position.
- Correctly ride the wave by understanding how body weight and speed affect surfing
- Identify how to turn your board
- Identify methods to get off the wave
- Wipe-out safely at the intermediate level
Perform Surfing Manoeuvres:
- Trim on forehand and backhand
- Bottom turn (forehand)
- Top turn (forehand)
- Link manoeuvres
Experience Surfing at:
- beach breaks
- surf 3 ft (1 metre)
- free from hazards
Have Level 3 Beginner Surfer skills and competence.
From Level 3 Intermediate Surfer, it takes approximately 250-500 hours to acquire Level 4 Intermediate surfer skills.
ASI Learn to Surf for Intermediate Level manual
ASI Surf Wise Level 4 Learn to Surf Intermediate Level Student Workbook
ASI Surf Wise Level 4 Learn to Surf Intermediate Level Logbook
Surf Wise Course - Level 4 module only
8 sessions (1-2 hrs each session) + practice
You must already be a competent Level 3 Beginner Surfer.
Learn how to assess surfing conditions, how to the read waves, selecting suitable locations for the intermediate surfer, negotiating waves using the duck dive, choosing correct waves, the take-off, turning, ways to get off the wave safety. Perform bottom and top turns on your forehand and link manoeuvres.
It will take approximately 250-500 hours of additional practice to learn these skills.
Resources: ASI Learn to Surf Intermediate Level Manual & ASI Surf Wise Level 4 Learn to Surf Intermediate Level Student Workbook or Logbook.
Certificate Issue: ASI Level 4 Intermediate Surfer Participation Certificate.
Book into a Surf Wise Course