Level 1 Surf Safety & Awareness
This course is general introduction on how to stay safe whilst swimming at surf locations. It covers surf awareness and self-rescue skills, as well as planning activities and identifying a rang of surf environment dangers.
Demonstrate surf awareness, safety and self-rescue skills to safely participate in activities in the surf environment.
Locations and Conditions
Beach break with sand bottom
Surf 1 ½ ft
Free from rips and hazards
- Swim 50 metres.
- Tread water for 5 minutes
- Float for 5 minutes
Beginner softboard, soft fins & leash
- Plan for the activity
- Identify food and water requirements
- Understand the surf environment
- Types of waves and their dangers
- Identify rips and how to get out of them
- Understand beach information and warning signs
- Identify surf hazards and how to avoid them
- Choose a safe swimming location
- Caring for the beach environment
Water and Safety Skills:
- Demonstrate skills in swimming, bodysurfing, floating and treading water
- Methods to negotiate through the surf with or without craft
- Methods to come in from the surf with or without craft
- Apply techniques for survival in the water
- Use self-rescue techniques
ASI Surf Safety & Awareness Manual and Workbook
ASI Surf Safety and Awareness Participation Certificate
8 sessions (1- 2 hrs each session) + practice
20-40 hours in total (depending on personal sports abilty and previous ocean experience).
Book into Surf Wise
Nationally Recognised Training Course - Australia
ASI offers Nationally Recognised Training (NRT) certificates for ASI Surf Safety & Awarenes program.
Students who enrol in the Nationally Recognised Training Course, will be required to demonstrate competency and may be awarded:
Statement of Attainment in Certificate II in Outdoor Recreation (SIS20213).
Units of competency:
SISOSRF201A Demonstrate surf survival and self rescue skills
Available in Australia only. ASI is an Australian Registered Training Organisation ID 91496 with authority to issue NRT certificates.