Working in Portugal
- Enrol into course: Treinadores de Surfing Grau 1
- Complete the training theory and practical online learning and attend workshop
- Start your internship and receive the internship certificate (to allow you to do paid work)
- Finish the course and receive: ASI Diploma de Qualificacao Treinador Surf Grau 1
- Submit your ASI Diploma to IPDJ to obtain: IPDJ Treinador De Desporto Surfing Grau I
ASI is IPDJ Approved
IPDJ Short courses
ASI will also be offering "short courses" approved by the IPDJ.
ASI International Surfing Instructor Courses
ASI continues to deliver the ASI International Surfing Instructor courses in Portugal. Portugal it is a great location to visit and complete surfing instructor training. Many people from other countries want to obtain their ASI International Surfing instructor certificate.
What is the difference between the two ASI qualifications?
1) ASI International Level 1 Surfing instructor
- International qualification
- Intensive training - 2 days workshop.
- Must be experienced surfers with minimum intermediate level surfing ability and perform bottom turn, top turn and cutback before enrolling.
- Provide a surf rescue and first aid certificate.
- Complete 25 hours experience after you have demonstrated surfing ability and completed all course requirements.
2) ASI Treinadores de Surfing Grau 1
The course requirements have been determined by the IPDJ government department. (ASI must deliver the training according to the IPDJ guidelines).
Required by some government authorities so you can work in Portugal.
- Portugal only
- Has basic e-learning sports coaching training (41 hours)
- 6 days of workshops includes extra subjects such as surf rescue, working with disabled, surf judging, extra practice delivering surfing sessions. Try out longboarding, SUP, bodyboarding, skimboarding.
- 550 hours internship (120 contact hours)
- Basic surfing ability. Able to trim left and right on waves with confidence.
Can I do the ASI International qualification now and later get a study credit for the ASI Treinadores de Surfing Grau 1?
No. You will need to complete all the training for the Treinadores de Surfing Grau 1” – e-learning, workshops and internship.
There is no recognition for your previous ASI international training. However, you will pay a reduced course fee.
Course Questions - Treinadores de Surfing Grau 1
If you are an ASI instructor, you only pay the reduced fee. This applies to:
- ASI Instructors whose qualification is current (not expired). If it has expired, you can renew online under your member account. To renew, login here Renewal FAQ’s
- If you enrolled in the previous 12 months and have not yet been issued your ASI qualification