This course is available as a physical workshop, or as an online flexible learning course.
Find more details below and select the best course option for you.
Instruct individuals at the improver to intermediate surfing level.
Qualified to instruct at lntermediate level surf locations: surf up to 3ft (1 metre)
Surfing instructor in the surfing or outdoor recreation industry.
Industry job roles that require surfing knowledge (e.g. marketing sales, retail, travel)
- The role of the level 2 surfing instructor
- Identifying intermediate level surfing session risks and hazards
- Emergency processes and responses
- Logistics and how to plan improver-intermediate surfing sessions
- Suitable boards and equipment
- Creating improver-intermediate lesson plans
- Instruction and coaching methods for improver-intermediate students
- Progression techniques from beginner to improver level
- Instructions techniques and drills
- ASI Surf Wise learn to surf program - levels 4, 5 and 6.
- Assessing student’s performance
Before starting this course, you must have:
- 750 hours surfing experience at various surf breaks
- have surfing skill and knowledge equivalent to ASI Level 7 Advanced Surfer - including being able to perform top turn, bottom with spray, re-entry, cutback and roundhouse cutback in 4ft to 6ft surf.
- hold ASI Level 1 Surfing Instructor certificate for a minimum of 12 months (non ASI Level 1 Certificates may be accepted based on experience and surfing ability. Additional course work may be required)
- English speaking skills equivalent to IELTS 6 (Competent user: Generally you have an effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriate usage and misunderstandings. You can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.)
An intensive course that focuses on the major components, with the ability to interact with the trainer and the group.
Study in your own time with ASI's e-learning platform. Upload video to demonstrate surfing skills.
ASI's E-learning Platform
ASI's e-learning platform provides access to training manuals, videos, reference materials and assessments. All information is submitted online, allowing you to keep track of what you have submitted and gain individualised trainer feedback.
To obtain your ASI Level 2 Surfing Instructor certificate:
- Complete theory and exercises
- Demonstrate ASI Level 7 Advanced Surfer surfing ability: Ride the wave from start to finish, demonstrating control and linking Level 7 advanced level manoeuvres (roundhouse cutback and re-entry) on the one wave.
- Submit written project of an improver/intermediate surfing session for 1 client.
- Complete 15 hours practical work experience at an ASI or approved surf school. (exemption for transfer-update)
- Submit a current surf rescue certificate
- Submit a current first aid certificate
Attend workshop, complete theory and assessments.
Practice lesson delivery.
Demonstrate surfing skills.
Submit surfing video demonstrating intermediate surfing skill (post workshop).
Submit written project of an improver/intermediate surfing session for 1 client. (post workshop)
Workshop Duration: 2 days. Plus: post workshop assessment (approx 2-3 hours) and 10 hours practical work experience. (5 hours signed off for workshop if competent).
Complete online theory and exercises and assessments.
Submit surfing video demonstrating intermediate surfing skill.
Submit written project of an improver/intermediate surfing session for 1 client.
Duration: Theory approx. 10 hours. Plus obtaining video and 15 hours practical work experience.
+ First Aid and Surf Rescue Certificates
Surf rescue and first aid certificates can be submitted before or after the training.
The surf rescue certificate date must not be expired. Certificates that are more than 2 years old are not accepted. (Australia. certificate cannot be more than 1 year old)
(ASI offers an e-learning surf rescue courses)
Find Approved Surf Rescue Training Providers
Senior First Aid:
The certificate date must not be expired. Certificates that are more than 3 years old are not accepted.
Online only or First Aid at Work certificates are not acceptable. Topics should cover situations that could occur in outdoors environments. A description of topics is at:
Find Description and Approved Senior First Aid Training Providers
+ Completing Work Experience Practical Hours
Complete 15 hours assisting in intermediate-improver surf lesson instruction at an ASI accredited or other approved surf school.
(5 hours are signed off at the workshop if you are competent)
(Exemption: recognition of previous experience can be provided)
+ Demonstrating Competency
If you cannot demonstrate competent surfing skills or project is not yet compentent, you can submit video and project for re-assessment.
First reassessment is free.
Fees may apply. See FAQs about ASI Courses for re-assessment fees.
+ Time to Complete
You have 12 months to complete all course requirements. At which time the enrolment will cancel.
What we provide:
Level 2 Surfing Instructor Training Manual
Level 2 Project Assessment logbook
ASI Learn to Surf - Intermediate level manual
12 months ASI membership
Access to online resources
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- Surf clothing
- Fibreglass surfboard to demonstrate ASI Level 7 advanced surfing skills.
- Beginner soft-top boards with soft fins and leash
- Access to ASI surf school to complete your practical hours training
In addition, for E-learning courses:
- Computer to access ASI e-learning platform
- Video camera or mobile phone to take video of practical skills
ASI Level 2 Surfing Instructor
(valid for 12 months from date of workshop)
Additional certificate issued:
ASI also issues education department approved training certificates. These do not expire.
ASI is an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and also issues the following certificate to students undertaking training in Australia
Australian Department of Education. Registered Training Organisation RTO ID 91496
Statement of Attainment in Certificate IV in Outdoor Leadership SIS40619
for units of competency:
SISOSRF005 Lead surfing activities, intermediate manoeuvres
SISOSRF004 Lead surfing activities, small waves and basic manoeuvres
SISOSRF002 Surf waves using intermediate manoeuvres
SISOSRF001 Surf small waves using basic manoeuvres
SISOFLD002 Minimise environmental impact
PUASAR012 Apply surf awareness and self-rescue skills
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page: click here