It’s the best job in the world! Combine your love of surfing with a career. Follow the seasons and work around the world.
An ASI Surfing Instructor is part of the ASI worldwide community. Your qualification is international. You get to work with great people in amazing locations.
This course is your first step in becoming a surfing instructor. Instruct beginner level surfing lessons and activities.
Surf no larger than 1½ft (½ metre)
Water depth of chest deep or less
Sandy beach and ocean floor with even gradient (no rocks or reef)
Free from rocks, free from rips, minimal lateral current, no dumping shore break
Wind less than 20 kph
Surfing instructor in the surfing or outdoor recreation industry.
Industry job roles that require surfing knowledge (e.g. marketing sales, retail, travel)
- The role of the surfing instructor
- Identifying laws and regulations that apply to conducting surfing lessons
- Client management and safety
- Identifying surfing lesson risks and hazards
- Emergency processes and responses
- Logistics and how to plan surfing sessions
- Suitable boards, equipment and resources
- Communication skills for the surfing environment
- Instruction and coaching methods
- Creating lesson plans
- Assessing students performance
- Evaluating surfing lessons
- Minimising environmental impacts (social & natural)
- Abide by student to instructor ratios: maximum of 8 students to 1 qualified ASI Surfing iInstructor.
Before starting this course, you must have:
- 500 hours surfing experience
- surfing skills and knowledge equivalent to ASI Level 6 Intermediate Surfer.
ability to select appropriate, makeable wave and ride the wave effectively, demonstrating control and performing and linking intermediate level manoeuvres (bottom turn and top turn, cut-back on forehand).
- English speaking skills equivalent to IELTS 6 (Competent user: Generally you have an effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriate usage and misunderstandings. You can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.)
Workshop: An intensive course that focuses on the major components, with the ability to interact with the trainer and the group.
Flexible E-learning: Study in your own time with ASI's e-learning platform. Upload video to demonstrate surfing skills.
Apprenticeship: Complete theory on the ASI e-learning platform and complete your practical on-the-job instruction experience, assessments and course requirements, under the guidance of an ASI Trainer at an ASI Instructor Training Centre.
ASI's E-learning Platform
ASI's e-learning platform provides access to training manuals, videos, reference materials and assessments. All information is submitted online, allowing you to keep track of what you have submitted and gain individualised trainer feedback.
To obtain your ASI Surfing Instructor certificate:
- Complete theory assessments and exercises
- Demonstrate Level 6 Intermediate Surfer surfing ability: Ride the wave from start to finish, demonstrating control and linking intermediate level manoeuvres (bottom turn, top turn, cut-back on forehand) on the one wave.
- Complete 25 hours practical work experience at an ASI or approved surf school.
- Submit a current surf rescue certificate
- Submit a current first aid certificate
Attend workshop, complete theory and assessments.
Practice lesson delivery.
Demonstrate surfing skills.
Submit surfing video demonstrating intermediate surfing skill (post workshop).
Workshop Duration: 2 days. Plus: post workshop assessment (approx 2-3 hours) and 20 hours practical work experience. (5 hours signed off for workshop if competent).
Flexible Online E-learning
Complete online theory and exercises and assessments.
Submit surfing video demonstrating intermediate surfing skill.
Duration: Theory approx. 10 hours. Plus obtaining video and 25 hours practical work experience.
Prior to enrolment, contact a trainer at an ASI Instructor Training Centre to confirm they have availablity.
Complete online theory and exercises and assessments.
Practical: lesson delivery, trainer takes surfing video demonstrating intermediate surfing skill. organises practical work experience.
Duration: to be completed within 6 weeks. Theory approx. 10 hours. Practical: 25 hours practical work experience.
+ First Aid and Surf Rescue Certificates
Surf rescue and first aid certificates can be submitted before or after the training.
The surf rescue certificate date must not be expired. Certificates that are more than 2 years old are not accepted. (Australia. certificate cannot be more than 1 year old)
(ASI offers an e-learning surf rescue courses)
Find Approved Surf Rescue Training Providers
Senior First Aid:
The certificate date must not be expired. Certificates that are more than 3 years old are not accepted.
Online only or First Aid at Work certificates are not acceptable. Topics should cover situations that could occur in outdoors environments. A description of topics is at:
Find Description and Approved Senior First Aid Training Providers
Working with Children Check:
If applicable to your country
+ Completing Work Experience Practical Hours
Complete 25 hours assisting in beginner surf lesson instruction at an ASI accredited or other approved surf school.
(5 hours are signed off at the workshop if you are competent)
(Exemption: recognition of previous experience can be provided)
+ Time to Complete
You have 12 months to complete all course requirements. At which time the enrolment will cancel.
What we provide:
Level 1 Surfing Instructor Training Manual
Practical hours Logbook
12 months ASI membership
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- Surf clothing
- Fibreglass surfboard to demonstrate intermediate surfing skills.
- Beginner soft-top boards with soft fins and leash
- Access to ASI surf school to complete your practical hours training
In addition, for Online learning courses:
- Computer to access ASI e-learning platform
- Video camera or mobile phone to take video of practical skills
ASI Level 1 Surfing Instructor
(valid for 12 months from date of workshop)
Additional certificate issued:
ASI also issues education department approved training certificates. These do not expire.
ASI is an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and also issues the following certificate to students undertaking training in Australia
Australian Department of Education. Registered Training Organisation RTO ID 91496
Statement of Attainment in Certificate III in Outdoor Leadership (SIS30619)
for units of competency:
SISOSRF004 Lead surfing activities, small waves and basic manoeuvres
SISOSRF002 Surf waves using intermediate manoeuvres
SISOSRF001 Surf small waves using basic manoeuvres
SISOFLD002 Minimise environmental impact
PUASAR012 Apply surf awareness and self-rescue skills
How to become an ASI Surfing Instructor click here
Surfing Instructor FAQ's page: click here
Working in Portugal Surfing Instructor FAQ's page: click here