The ASI SUP Wise Intensiv (Enclosed Flat Water) course combines online learning and practical skills and contains indepth knowledge and skills to get you paddling with efficiency and effectively at a range of flat water paddling locations.
The online manual has loads of videos and explanations to help perfect your paddling technique. The course includes a review of your own paddling video with a detailed assessment of your technique and skills according to the ASI criteria.
To obtain the knowledge and skills to paddle effectively, efficiently and with safety in a variety of enclosed flat water locations, utilising the ASI methdology and guidelines.
Applies to inland waterways and bodies of water including creeks, rivers, lakes, lagoons, estuaries, canals:
- no wider than 1 km (0.6 miles)
- with no swell or breaking waves
- wind speed less than 12 knots
- no more than 250 metres from shore
Assistant SUP Instructor
Industry job roles that require SUP knowledge (e.g. marketing, sales, retail)
Environment & Safety
- The enclosed flat water environment, locations, water, weather covering types and conditions
- SUP location hazards and safety
- SUP personal hazards and safety
- Laws and regulation
- Self-rescue techniques
- Environmental impact
- SUP boards, paddles, leashes, other equipment and accessories for SUP
- SUP clothing
Technique & Guidelines - Paddle Stroke
- The 3P’s of paddling
- The 5 phases of the paddling stroke - entry, catch, power phase, exit, recovery
- Correct hinging and reach, paddle position
Technique & Guidelines - Other SUP Skills
- Paddling on knees
- Enter and exit the water correctly
- How to stop, safe falling and dismount
- Getting back on board techniques
- Turning - back paddling, sweep stroke, pivot turn
- SUP etiquette
Swim 50 metres (164 ft)
3 hour face to face workshop, with valuable feedback from your trainer.
With video feedback assessments and online support.
- Read the online manual and view videos
- Complete online multi-choice tests.
- Submit video of paddle stroke technique (3 short videos 1 min each - left side, right side, front on)
- Submit video of other paddle skills (10 mins approx.) demonstrating ability to perform: enter and exit water, falling off, getting back on, paddling on knees, turning strokes.
You have one free assessment for both Other SUP Paddle skills and your SUP Paddle stroke.
Should you want or require additional coaching to assist in developing your SUP skills you can contact an ASI Instructor from the following list and make your arrangements directly with them. Additional fees apply.
Find ASI Instructors/Trainers
Time to Complete
You have 12 months to complete all course requirements.
What we provide:
- SUP Wise Intensiv (Enclosed Flat Water) online manual
- Access to the ASI e-learning platform
- One assessment of your paddle stroke technique and other paddle skills via submitted videos.
The following is required to complete the training:
- Flat water stand up paddle board, paddle, coiled leash
- SUP clothing suitable for paddling
- Computer or mobile phone to access ASI e-learning platform
On successful completion and deemed competent you will be awarded:
SUP Wise paddlers card (Enclosed Flat Water) - Recreational Paddler.
This handy credit card sized card may be used to rent SUP boards or gain entry into higher level SUP courses.
Deemed Not Yet Competent?
You can resubmit video for reassessment any time within the 12 months.
Additional fees apply.
Additional certificate issued:
What happens if I don't pass?
Nothing happens. The feedback is for you only. You can decide to work on your skills and resubmit video at a later date if you are keen to get your ASI SUP Paddlers Card.
Can I meet face to face with an instructor?
Yes, ASI has a network of instructors who can give you on water feedback and coaching, take video and discuss your ability. This is not included in the course, and you would organise any coaching activities and fees direct with the instructor.
How long do I have to submit the video?
We keep your course open for 12 months, so you can submit video anytime with the 12 months.
How do I Enrol?