ASI created this SUP sport specific water safety rescue award specifically for stand up paddle instructors and anyone who paddles regularly.
This course is available as a physical workshop or an online flexible learning course. Find more details below and select the best course option for you.
Perform simple rescues in SUP enclosed flat water and exposed waters locations.
Qualified to conducted rescues at:
- Enclosed flat waters including rivers, creeks and lagoons, or
- Coastal locations and inland bodies of water and harbours over 1 km (0.6 miles wide) No breaking waves.
- SUP instructors in the SUP or outdoor recreation industry.
- Assistant SUP Instructors
- Persons assisting in SUP water safety rescues
- Industry job roles that require SUP water safety rescue knowledge (e.g. marketing, sales, retail)
- Identify emergency situations
- Respond to emergency situations
- Apply SUP rescue techniques
- Demonstrate in-water rescues on conscious and unconscious patients using single and double roll methods
- Identify the signs of potential spinal injuries and respond and treat accordingly
- Emergency signals and incident reporting
Before starting this course, you must have:
- Be medically and physically fit.
- Able to swim 100 metres (328 ft), run 200 metres (650 ft), prone paddle SUP board 200 metres (650ft) - within 10 minutes.
- English speaking skills.
Workshop: An intensive course that focuses on the major components, with the ability to interact with the trainer and the group.
Duration: half day (5 hours)
Online: Study in your own time with ASI's e-learning platform. Upload video to demonstrate mission fitness test and rescue skills.
ASI's E-learning Platform
ASI's e-learning platform provides access to training manuals, videos, reference materials and assessments. Access is available for all the above delivery options.
- Complete multi-choice test.
- Complete timed fitness mission within 10 minutes: swim 100 metres (328 ft), run 200 metres (650 ft), prone paddle SUP board 200 metres (650ft).
- Demonstrate rescue of unconscious person using double roll method with your SUP board (in deep water).
- Submit a current senior first aid certificate
Note: can be provided within 12 months of enrolment.
Time to Complete
You have 12 months to complete all course requirements.
What we provide:
ASI SUP Water Safety Rescue training manual
Access to rescue videos
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- Flat water stand up paddle board, paddle, coiled leash
- SUP clothing suitable for paddling and suitable for immersion in water when performing rescues
In addition, for Online learning courses:
- Computer or mobile phone to access ASI e-learning platform
- Another person to be your patient (for online learning and flexible trainer options)
- Video camera or mobile phone to take video of practical skills (for online learning option)
ASI Stand Up Paddle Water Safety Rescue Award (Flat Water)
Valid for 24 months.
Additional certificate issued:
ASI also issues education department approved training certificates. These do not expire.
ASI is an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and also issues the following certificate to students undertaking training in Australia.
Australian Department of Education. Registered Training Organisation RTO ID 91496
Statement of Attainment in Certificate II in Public Safety (Aquatic Rescue) (PUA20119)
for units of competency:
PUASAR013- Participate in an aquatic rescue operation
There is no renewal on this qualification.
To obtain a new certificate, participants complete the course again.
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page. click here