It’s the best job in the world! Combine your love of stand up paddleboarding with a career. Follow the seasons and work around the world.
An ASI stand up paddle instructor is part of the ASI worldwide community. Your qualification is international. You get to work with great people in amazing locations.
This is the entry level course for SUP instructors. Deliver basic SUP lessons, short SUP paddle tours and SUP rentals in enclosed flat water locations.
Qualified to instruct at Enclosed Flat Water locations, defined as:
- inland waterways and bodies of water including creeks, rivers, lakes, lagoons, estuaries, canals
- no wider than 1 km (0.6 miles)
- with no swell or breaking waves
- wind speed less than 12 knots
- no more than 250 metres from shore
- Stand Up Paddle Instructor in the SUP or outdoor recreation industry.
- Industry job roles that require SUP knowledge (e.g. marketing, sales, retail)
- Pathways to higher levels like SUP Tech Coach or to become a SUP yoga teacher, a SUP surfing coach or perhaps a SUP fitness instructor.
- Start your own ASI accredited SUP school.
- The role of the SUP instructor
- Identify laws and regulations that apply to conducting SUP lessons
- Identify enclosed flat water SUP lesson/activity risks and hazards
- Emergency processes and response
- Logistics and how to plan enclosed flat water SUP sessions
- Suitable boards, equipment and resources
- Communication skills for the SUP environment
- Methods to manage clients safely
- Deliver basic SUP lessons and SUP activities
- Understand correct paddling technique including the 5 phases of the paddle stroke
- Identify correct and incorrect technique using ASI assessment competency guide
- Use video analysis to assess your own paddling ability
- Evaluate your own SUP teaching sessions
- Minimise environmental impacts (social & natural)
Before enrolling in this course:
- have at least 100 hours on water SUP paddling experience
- be a competent paddler demonstrating correct SUP stroke technique
- have completed or are completing the ASI SUP Wise Intensiv (Enclosed Flat Water) course
- have English speaking skills
Workshop: An intensive course that focuses on the major components, with the ability to interact with the trainer and the group.
Duration: 2 days.
Online: Study in your own time with ASI's e-learning platform. Upload video to demonstrate skills.
Online Courses - ASI's E-learning Platform
ASI's e-learning platform provides access to training manuals, videos, reference materials and assessments. Access is available for all the above delivery options.
- Complete multi-choice online tests.
Workshop: after the workshop
Online courses: anytime
- Demonstrate correct paddling technique and paddle stroke technique.
- Complete paddling mission test -paddle for 1km in under 10 mins.
Workshop: video taken by trainer, and feedback provided at workshop
Online courses: submit your own video and feedback is provided
- Complete 10 hours practical work experience, assisting in the delivery of lessons of tours, at an ASI or approved SUP school.
- Submit a current SUP water rescue or surf rescue certificate
- Submit a current senior first aid certificate
- Working with Children Check: If applicable to your country
Note: above can be provided within 12 months of enrolment.
Time to Complete
You have 12 months to complete all course requirements.
What we provide:
Level 1 Stand Up Paddle Instructor (Enclosed Flat Water) Manual
SUP Instruction Logbook
ASI membership for 12 months
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- Flat water stand up paddle board, paddle, coiled leash
- SUP clothing suitable for paddling
In addition, for the Online learning option:
- Computer or mobile phone to access ASI e-learning platform
- Video camera or mobile phone to take video of practical skills and submit online
ASI Level 1 Stand Up Paddle Instructor (Enclosed Flat Water) Certificate
Valid for 12 months
Additional certificate issued:
Each year, ASI SUP Instructors renew their ASI SUP Instructor certificates. Renewal requirements. click here
How to become an ASI SUP Instructor. click here
SUP Instructor FAQ's page. click here