Go the next step in your ASI SUP Instructor career. Provide coaching to improve technical paddling skills.
This course is available via a combination of e-learning and trainer led video workshop sessions.
Conduct assessment of stand up paddle skills, create training plans and provide coaching to improve performance, for recreational paddlers in enclosed flat water locations.
Qualified to coach at Enclosed Flat Water locations, defined as:
- inland waterways and bodies of water including creeks, rivers, lakes, lagoons, estuaries, canals
- no wider than 1 km (0.6 miles)
- with no swell or breaking waves
- wind speed less than 12 knots
- water depth no less than 3ft
- free from hazards
- no more than 250 metres from shore
Stand Up Paddle Instructor or Coach in the SUP or outdoor recreation industry.
Industry job roles that require SUP knowledge (e.g. marketing, sales, retail)
- Identify human anatomy in relation to SUP
- Analyse use of the body, common mistakes
- Analyse use of paddle, and common mistakes
- Identify how to correct poor technique
- Identify injuries that can result due to poor technique
- Understand stroke efficiency / cadence
- Identify suitable equipment and effect on technique
- Assessing SUP performance using ASI assessment criteria and video analysis
- Identify drills and skills to correct technique
- Prepare individualised coaching plans to improve performance
- Identify the requirement for basic strength and conditioning exercises to assist in improving paddling technique.
Before starting this course, you must:
Hold ASI Level 1 SUP Instructor (Enclosed Flat Water) certificate
Have completed a minimum of 500 hours on water paddling experience.
Personal paddling ability.
Paddle with correct technique, with power and safety in enclosed flat water locations, demonstrating: correct use of paddle, posture, reach and hinging at hips.
Paddle at 50 strokes per minute.
- English speaking skills.
The course combines the following:
- Online learning theory
- Optional video Zoom sessions (at scheduled dates)
ASI's E-learning Platform
ASI's e-learning platform provides access to training manuals, videos, reference materials and assessments. Access is available for all the above delivery options.
Step 1 - Theory
Read the online modules
Complete short multi choice tests
Step 2 - Attend Zoom workshop sessions (optional)
2 x 2 hour theory sessions at designated times
The video sessions provide an overview of key course content and opportunity to ask questions
Step 3 – Complete Projects
- Submit video of yourself demonstrating personal paddling ability at the technical coach level (paddle stroke, cadence 50 strokes per min, enter/exit water, paddling on knees, stopping, turning)
- Find one student. Take video and complete an assessment of paddle stroke skills for coaching feedback. Submit video and assessment coaching feedback form.
- Conduct Paddle Stroke Video Analysis. Using the video provided, complete the online assessment quiz of the paddle stroke. Identify incorrect and correct technique. For 5 different paddlers.
- Submit a current water rescue certificate
- Submit a current first aid certificate
First Aid and Water Rescue Certificates
Rescue and first aid certificates can be submitted before or after the training.
As a minimum, you need a Flat Water Rescue certificate. You can also hold a surf rescue certificate.
The certificate date must not be expired. Certificates that are more than 2 years old are not accepted.
(ASI offers an e-learning SUP flat water rescue courses)
Find Approved Flat Water Rescue Training Providers
Find Approved Surf Rescue Training Providers
Senior First Aid:
The certificate date must not be expired. Certificates that are more than 3 years old are not accepted.
Online only or First Aid at Work certificates are not acceptable. Topics should cover situations that could occur in outdoors environments. A description of topics is at: Find Description and Approved Senior First Aid Training Providers
If you cannot demonstrate competent paddling skills, you can resubmit video.
First reassessment is free.
Fees apply. See FAQs about ASI Courses for re-assessment fees.
Time to Complete
You have 12 months to complete all course requirements. At which time the enrolment will cancel.
What we provide:
Online learning manual and videos
Access to ASI’s e-learning platform
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- Flat water stand up paddle board
- Coiled leash
- SUP clothing suitable for paddling
- Access to 1 student for your project
In addition, for E-learning theory:
- Computer to access ASI e-learning platform
- Video camera or mobile phone to take video
ASI Level 1 Stand Up Paddle Technical Coach (Enclosed Flat Water) Certificate
(valid for 12 months)
Additional certificate issued:
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page. click here