ASI Surfing Courses FAQ's

Do you have any questions in relation to completing your Surfing Instructor qualification?  
Here are some FAQ’s


(1) Do I need to be able to surf to enrol in the ASI Level 1 Surfing Instructor course?
Yes.  You should have approximately 500 hours surfing experience.  You must be able to surf at the ASI Intermediate Level - perform and link manoeuvres (bottom turn, top turn, light cut-back, re-entry on both forehand and backhand) in 3 ft surf and be experienced surfing at beach, reef, river mouth and point breaks.     See ASI Intermediate Level Surfer

(2)  I am not an Intermediate Surfer.  What should do?
You cannot enrol in the ASI Level 1 Surfing Instructor course.

To improve your surfing skill:  (i) contact an ASI Trainer or ASI Surf school and ask for a private assessment of your ability and have coaching sessions.
(ii) purchase the ASI Learn to Surf Intermediate Level manual which explains how to perform manoeuvres and a range of safety and background information required at the intermediate level.  Purchase on the ASI Shop

(3) How long does it take to develop intermediate surfing skill?
To surf at the intermediate level requires ability to ride waves, perform manouevres in the correct section with correct balance. Most importantly, it requires an ability to read the waves and how they perform, knowledge of the ocean and surf, hazards, and conditions at different types surf breaks.   No wave is the same.  No surf break is the same.  Conditions can change constantly.  This knowledge and skill can only be acquired by time in the surf and practice. 
Depending on your ability and ocean and surf knowledge and experience, it takes approx. 500 – 1500 hours to be able to surf at the intermediate level.  (ie. surfing  a minimum of 1.3 hours to 4 hours each day for 1 year). 

Practical Hours

(1) Where can I do my practical hours?

  • You can organise to do your practical hours with the surf school who is hosting the training.  You will need to contact the trainer and ask if they have availability. The trainer details are listed on the actual training event/workshop page on the ASI website. 
  • You can find an ASI accredited surf school on the ASI website at:
  • You can do your practical hours with a non ASI surf school you plan to work for.   Please send us the name of the school, location and website and we can check their suitability.  

(2) There is no ASI School near me to complete practical hours /  There is no surf school near me /  There is no surf school near me that will offer me practical hours

At the workshop, the trainer will discuss how you can complete your practical hours based on your experience and ability.  Where an ASI school is not near you, a variety of options is available  including completing hours at a non ASI school and / or if you are an experienced outdoors recreation instructor in another watersport, you may be able to complete your own hours and provide video assessment of delivery.   The Trainer will prepare a simple plan and be your mentor.

First Aid Certificates

(1) Do I need to hold a first aid certificate before enrolling in the ASI Instructor courses?
No.  You have 12 months after the workshop date to provide it to ASI.

(2) What First Aid Certificates do you accept?
ASI has listed some certificates that are acceptable.  click here
These are usually 1 day to 2 days training.   Valid for 2 to 3 years.
At a minimum your first aid certificate must be FACE to FACE training and include the following topics:
basic emergency care for injuries and illnesses: CPR, cramp, hypothermia, heat stroke, strain/sprains, fractures, breaks and dislocations, breathing emergencies including choking and asthma, head injuries, eye injuries, bites and stings, bleeding, shock, epilepsy, allergies

​(3) Do you accept online first aid certificates?
No.  the First aid training must have a face to face component.  ASI has listed some certificates that are acceptable.  click here

(4) Do I need to update my First Aid certificates?
Yes.  You must keep these current at all times. 
Make sure the certificate has not expired or is no more than 3 years old from the date of workshop.

(5) I am a paramedic or nurse. Do you I have to provide a first aid certificate?

No.  But you must provide evidence / certificate / letter from the hospital you work for that states you are current in first aid. 

Rescue Certificates

(1) Do I need to hold a a rescue certificate before enrolling in the ASI Instructor courses?
No.  You have 12 months after the workshop date to provide it to ASI.

(2) What Rescue Certificates do you accept?
Surf Rescue Certificate is required.   
ASI has listed some certificates that are acceptable.  click here

(3) Do I have to hold Bronze Surf Lifesaving Certificate?
No. You can hold a Community Surf rescue certificate or equivalent. 
ASI has listed some certificates that are acceptable.  click here

(4) Can I provide a Swimming Pool rescue certificate?
No. You must have a Surf Rescue certificate.  It demonstrates experience completing rescues in the surf.
See ASI website for a list of some SURF rescue providers.  click here


(1) Do I have to pay membership fees, when I renew my instructor certification?
No, the ASI instructor renewal fee is inclusive of membership.  Which means the ASI renewal fee is the best value in the marketplace.  We keep our renewal fees low as a member benefit.

Working in Other Countries

(1) Can I work in other countries with ASI qualifications?
Yes, ASI has been operating since 2003 and is the world leader in education and training accreditation in the surfing, stand up paddle and bodyboarding sections of the outdoor recreation industry.

(2) I did my ASI training in the UK and I want to work in Australia.  Do I have to pay any extra fees to be recognised?
No.  You do not pay any extra once you have your ASI qualifications.   There may be additional country certificate requirements e.g. your rescue certificate is only recognised for 12 months in Australia.   You may be required to apply for a state based working with children check.   The surf school you are working for,will advise you of requirements.