Level 1 Surfing Instructor
Complete your ASI qualification without having to attend a workshop.
Available when you do your training at ASI Accredited schools.
Enrol at any time. Work at your own pace.
We post out your instructor manuals. Complete theory and practical course requirements and return the Assessment Record Book to ASI.
Ideal for students who:
- Require flexibility in completing their qualification
- Have prior outdoors instructing and teaching experience
- Are experienced surfers
- Plan to work for an ASI accredited surf school or plan to complete their training and their practical hours with an ASI school.
- Find an ASI School where you will be completing your training and practical hours.
- Complete online enrolment form and payment, listing the surf school name.
- We post your training manuals to you.
- Complete written assessments in the Assessment and Competency Record Book.
- Email your surfing video to ASI
- Email or post your completed Assessment and Competency Record Book to ASI
Complete course work:
- Written assessments.
- Organise your practical on-the-job instruction experience (25 hours), under the guidance of an ASI school owner / instructor. Logbook hours and testimonial form to be signed by the ASI surf school owner / instructor.
- Provide surfing video, demonstrating intermediate level surfing manoeuvres - able to select appropriate, makeable wave and ride the wave effectively, demonstrating control and performing and linking intermediate level manoeuvres (bottom turn, top turn, cutback on forehand). See detailed assessment criteria at: ASI Level 6 Intermediate Surfer
(Note: Photos are not acceptable. However, photos performing high quality advanced level 9 to elite-advanced level 10 surfing manoeuvres, in the middle of turns can be submitted).
- Provide current copy of surf rescue and first aid certificates
- Provide identification and headshot photo.
You can complete the flexible learning course within 2 to 4 weeks if you dedicate time to finish theory assessments and practical on the job experience.
However, you have 12 months to complete all course requirements allowing you to work at your own pace.
Additional course information and requirements:
Please read prior to enrolling. Course Information
Level 1 Surfing Instructor Training Manual
Level 1 Assessment & Competency Record Book
ASI Learn to Surf for Beginners level DVD
ASI Learn to Surf - Intermediate level manual
12 months ASI membership