SUP Wise Level 5 SUP Advanced Surf
ASI Level 5 Advanced SUP Surf is the highest level of stand up paddle surfing knowledge and skills. Learn how to control the board and use the paddle to perform and link advanced level SUP manoeuvres, in the critical section of the wave, in surf up to 6ft.
You should already be a competent paddler at the Intermediate SUP Surf level and have extensive surf and ocean experience before venturing into these surf locations. SUP Surfing requires high technical skills and surf knowledge. Learners should be accompanied with experienced SUP instructors at all times.
Demonstrate ability to control the board and use the paddle to perform and link advanced level SUP manoeuvres, in the critical section of the wave in surf up to 6ft (2 metres).
Locations and Conditions
- Peeling waves of 6ft (2 metres)
- Wind speed less than 12.5 knots
- Offshore winds up to 10 knots
- Free from hazards
Swim 50 metres (164 ft), without stopping
ASI Stand Up Paddle (Intermediate Surf) skill and knowledge
Stand up paddle surf board
Environment & Safety
- Predict surf conditions at different surf breaks taking weather, tide, and land formations into consideration.
- Identify SUP safety issues for the advanced SUP surf paddler
- Select a safe SUP surf location for the advanced level SUP surfing
- Demonstrate correct wipe-out and mount/dismount
- Demonstrate correct SUP surf etiquette
Equipment & Clothing
- Choose suitable SUP surfing board and equipment
- Correct paddling technique and stance
- Techniques for taking off and finishing the ride
Perform advanced level SUP surf manouevres:
- Roundhouse cutback
- Tube riding
- Nose riding
- Walking the board
- Drop knee cutback
- Section manoeuvres
- Linking manoeuvres with correct use of paddle
Describe how to perform:
- Drop knee cutback
- Rotational airs
- Rotational floater
- Rock and roll floater
ASI SUP Wise SUP (Advanced Surf) logbook
ASI SUP Wise SUP Advanced Surf Level 5 Participation Certificate
10 sessions (2 hrs each session) + practice
600-1400 hours in total (depending on personal sports abilty and previous on water experience).
Book into SUP Wise