SUP Wise Level 3 Downwind & Distance Paddling
ASI Level 3 Downwind & Distance Paddling is the third level of stand up paddle knowledge and skills.
SUP downwinding uses special SUP boards, the ocean swells and wind to help propel you along. It requires skill and strategy to judge the best peaks and troughs (runners) so you remain on course.
Stand up paddle with correct technique, confidence and safety in downwind locations for distances of 10 km (6 miles) wit wind speed between 15 to 20 knots.
Locations and Conditions
- Coastal ocean locations and large inland bodies of water
- Wind behind
- Wind speed greater than 15 knots and less than 20 knots
- Swell size up to 4 ft swell
- White capping waves
- Offshore up to 500 metres (1,640 ft) is ideal but up to 700 metres (2,300 ft) with additional risk assessment
- Distance up to 10 kms (6 miles)
Swim 50 metres (164 ft), without stopping
ASI Stand Up Paddle (Exposed Waters) skill and knowledge
12ft 6' downwind stand up paddle board
Environment & Safety
- Identify types of wind direction and strength
- Identify SUP hazards and self rescue techniques at 500 metres offshore
- Demonstrate correct wipe-out in high wind conditions
- Demonstrate correct SUP etiquette (rights of way)
- Planning and logistics including launch and arrival points
Equipment & Clothing
- Choose suitable SUP downwind paddle board and equipment
- Identify wave mechanics to maximize performance
- Catch and ride "bumps"
- Demonstrate correct paddling technique and stance
- Identify how to vary your stroke rate and length
- Identify how to vary foot placement (rail steering, maximum board run, sweet spot on board, maintain momentum)
ASI SUP Wise (Downwind) logbook
ASI SUP Wise Downwind Level 3 Participation Certificate
6 sessions (3 hrs each session) + practice
20-60 hours in total (depending on personal sports abilty and previous on water experience).
Book into SUP Wise