This course focuses on analysis and technique correction. You'll learn how to assess and coach individuals and groups to improve surfing ability and create individualised coaching programs.
Coach individuals and groups to improve intermediate to advanced level surfing ability.
Workshop: 2 days
Plus: post workshop assessments.
You have 12 months from date of workshop to complete all course requirements.
Qualified to coach at advanced level surf locations in surf up to 6ft (2 metres)
Surfing instructor in the surfing or outdoor recreation industry.
Industry job roles that require surfing knowledge (e.g. marketing, sales, retail)
- Advanced level surfing criteria and competencies
- Advanced level surfing coaching risks and hazards
- Factors affecting surfing dynamics and performance
- Manoeuvres performed at the advanced level
- The mechanics of advanced level surfing manoevures
- Assessing advanced level surfing performance
- Identify drills to improve performance
- Prepare individualised coaching sessions & programs
- Prepare group coaching sessions & programs
- Conduct effective video analysis
- Evaluate coaching plans to determined effectiveness
Before starting this course, you must have:
- 1,500 to 2,000 hours surfing experience at all types of surf breaks (beach, reef, point breaks).
- Have surfing skill and knowledge equivalent to ASI Level 9 Advanced Surfer. Able to perform and link advanced level manoeuvres - roundhouse cut-back, floater, snap, vertical re-entry, tube ride, with power and speed, in surf up to 6ft (2 metres), at different types of surf breaks.
- minimum 5 years surfing instructor experience
- hold ASI Level 1 Surfing Instructor certificate (non ASI Level Certificates may be accepted based on experience and surfing ability. Additional course work may be required)
- English speaking skills equivalent to IELTS 6 (Competent user: Generally you have an effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriate usage and misunderstandings. You can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.)
- Attend a workshop
- Complete assessments
- Organise surfers to be your students in order to complete the assessments.
In order to gain your Level 3 Surfing Coach qualification, you will need to:
Read training manuals
Paperbased manuals provided at workshop
- Demonstrate your ASI Level 9 Advanced Surfer surfing skills. Able to perform and link advanced level manoeuvres - roundhouse cut-back, floater, snap, vertical re-entry, tube ride, with power and speed, in surf up to 6ft (2 metres).
- Practice coaching skills sessions.
Complete written assessment
Complete practical projects: prepare an individualised coaching program for two different surfers.
Submit surfing video demonstrating ASI Level 9 Advanced surfing skill at two different surf breaks.
• 2 x video
If the video you submitted does not demonstrate competency, you can re-submit video for re-assessment. Fees apply. See FAQs about ASI Courses for Re-assessment Fees.
Before or After Workshop
Submit Surf Rescue certificate and Senior First Aid certificate
OR Lifesaving (UK only Combined Rescue & First Aid certificate).
What we provide:
Level 3 Surfing Coach Training Manual
Level 3 Assessment & Competency Record Book
ASI Learn to Surf Advanced Level manual
12 months ASI membership
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- Surf clothing
- Fibreglass surfboard to demonstrate ASI Level 9 advanced surfing skills.
- Access to surfers to act as students for your written assessments
ASI Level 3 Surfing Coach
(valid for 12 months from date of workshop)
Additional certificate issued:
ASI also issues education department approved training certificates. These do not expire.
ASI is an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and also issues the following certificate to students undertaking training in Australia.
Australian Department of Education. Registered Training Organisation RTO ID 91496
Statement of Attainment in Certificate IV in Outdoor Leadership SIS40619
for units of competency:
SISOSRF006 Lead surfing activities, advanced manoeuvres
SISOSRF003 Surf waves using advanced manoeuvres
SISOSRF005 Lead surfing activities, intermediate manoeuvres
SISOSRF004 Lead surfing activities, small waves and basic manoeuvres
SISOSRF002 Surf waves using intermediate manoeuvres
SISOSRF001 Surf small waves using basic manoeuvres
SISOFLD002 Minimise environmental impact
PUASAR012 Apply surf awareness and self-rescue skills
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page: click here