This combined Level 1 & 2 course is designed for fitness professionals. It provides the knowledge and skills to safely deliver and design fitness exercises on a SUP Board in the water.
It’s an exciting way to work out. The SUP board challenges and intensifies even the basic fitness moves improving your balance, core stability, strength and cardiovascular system. Challenge your clients by using resistance bands and SUP fitness circuits.
Conduct stand up paddle fitness sessions with basic to intermediate-advanced exercises, including using resistance bands.
SUP fitness locations are defined as:
- inland waters or coastal locations with flat water, no swell or breaking waves
- miniminal or no wind
- free from hazards
- no more than 50 metres from shore
- water depth no more than 4ft
- Stand Up Paddle Fitness Instructor within the stand up paddle industry or outdoor recreation industry.
- Industry job roles that require SUP Fitness knowledge (e.g. marketing, sales, retail)
Level 1 SUP Fitness
- SUP fitness locations, hazards & risk management
- Client safety management techniques
- Emergency processes and response
- Learn a range of fitness exercises - cardio, core, strength, toning, balancing modified for basic / beginners SUP fitness
- Develop SUP fitness programs to suit your client base
- Demonstrate delivery of SUP fitness programs
- Identify suitable SUP fitness equipment, including anchoring systems
- Evaluate own SUP fitness instruction techniques
Level 2 SUP Fitness
- Learn a range of fitness exercises modified for intermediate-advanced SUP fitness.
- Learn SUP resistance training exercises with the use of resistance tubes/bands.
- Provide SUP cardio moves giving you that aerobic workout
- Develop a range of high end SUP fitness workout programs including: SUP circuits, SUP tums bums, Resistance training, Interval training SUP Abs
- Create intermediate-advanced core workout sessions with the use of resistance tubes and paddle
- Demonstrate delivery of intermediate-advanced SUP fitness programs.
Before starting this course, you must:
- hold Personal trainer qualification
As minimum this is where you are certified to train clients one-on-one or in a group, in an unsupervised setting, including outdoor sessions. eg. UK: Reps Level 2, Australia: Certificate IV in Fitness, Other countries: equivalent.
Not accepted: Fitness Instructor certificate, which only allows you do deliver fitness sessions or appraisals in a gym, in group sessions.
- have participated in a minimum of 10 hours of SUP fitness sessions
- have completed a minimum of 20 hours on water SUP paddling
- have basic skills and knowledge to paddle with confidence and safety
- have completed the ASI SUP Wise Enclosed Flat Water certificate with an ASI SUP School,
or have completed or are enrolled to complete the ASI SUP Wise for Instructors course.
- English speaking skills equivalent to IELTS 6 (Competent user: Generally you have an effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriate usage and misunderstandings. You can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.)
The ASI SUP Fitness Instructor Level 1 & Level 2 course can be completed by:
Delivery Option - Workshop
This intensive 2 day workshop will focus on completing the major components of the course. Some additional homework is also required to complete assessments and gain practical on-the-job instruction experience.
Ideal for: students who want to cover theory components in an intensive format.
Workshop course requirements:
To receive your ASI SUP Fitness Instructor certificate you need to:
Prior to workshop:
- Submit your Personal Trainer certificate
- Submit the SUP Wise for Enclosed Flat Water certificate or enrol in the ASI SUP Wise for Instructors course
At the workshop:
- Complete workshop theory assessments.
- Demonstrate SUP fitness sesson delivery and safely perform SUP fitness exercises
After the workshop:
- Complete 10 hours assisting in SUP fitness instruction at an ASI accredited or other approved SUP school. (Exemption: recognition of previous experience can be provided)
Before or after the workshop:
Note: The ASI Rescue and ASI SUP Wise courses are usually held on the same day, and scheduled at the same time as completing this SUP Fitness Instructor course.
If you are not able to demonstrate ability to safely perform SUP fitness exercises, you can re-submit video for re-assessment. Fees apply. See FAQs about ASI Courses for Re-assessment Fees.
Workshop: 2 days (16 hours)
plus post workshop practical hours work experience
You have 12 months from date of workshop to complete all course requirements.
What we provide:
ASI SUP Fitness Instructor Level 1 & Level 2 manual
Access to ASI correct paddling technique video (16 mins)
12 months membership
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- SUP flat water stand up paddle board
- Coiled leash (leg-rope)
- SUP clothing suitable for SUP fitness
ASI Level 1 & 2 Stand Up Paddle Fitness Instructor certificate
(valid for 12 months from the date you attended the workshop)
Additional certificate issued:
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page. click here