This SUP instructor’s course is to teach beginner SUP Surfing lessons. Learn how to manage students in the surf, risks and hazards, creating lessons plans, and techniques to have your students supping small waves with safety and ease.
Deliver and instructor beginner stand up paddle (SUP) surfing sessions.
Beginner SUP surfing locations are defined as:
- non pitching (shallow plunging) waves up to 1½ ft (½ metre)
- sandy beach with even gradient and channel
- free from strong rips, hazards, dumping shore break.
- wind speed less than 12 knots/miles per hour
- offshore winds less than 10 knots/miles per hour.
- no more than 100 metres (320 ft) from shore.
- at least 100 metres (300 ft), downwind from lifesaving flags.
- unpopulated surf spots
- Stand Up Paddle Instructor in the SUP or outdoor recreation industry.
- Industry job roles that require SUP knowledge (e.g. marketing, sales, retail)
- Identifying laws and regulations that apply to conducting SUP surf lessons
- Client management and safety
- Identifying beginner SUP surfing lesson risks and hazards
- Emergency processes and response
- Logistics and how to plan beginner SUP surf sessions
- Suitable SUP surf boards, equipment and resources
- Communication skills for the SUP surf environment
- Instruction and coaching methods
- Creating lesson plans
- Instruct a variety of SUP surf paddling techniques
- Minimising surf environmental impacts (social & natural)
- Abide by student to instructor ratios: maximum of 1 student to 1 accredited instructor at busy surf locations. Maximum of 2 students to 1 accredited instructor at non-busy surf locations.
Before starting this course, you must:
The ASI Level 3 SUP Instructor (Beginner surf) course can be completed by:
Delivery Option - Workshop
This intensive 1 day workshop will focus on completing the major components of the course. Some additional homework is also required to complete assessments and gain practical on-the-job instruction experience.
Ideal for: students who want to cover theory components in an intensive format.
Workshop course requirements:
At the workshop:
- Complete workshop theory assessments
- Demonstrate intermediate SUP surfing skills
- Demonstrate beginner SUP surfing lesson delivery
After the workshop:
- Complete on-line multi-choice test.
- Complete 25 hours assisting in beginner SUP surf instruction at an ASI accredited or other approved SUP school. (Exemption: recognition of previous experience can be provided).
Before or after the workshop:
- Provide personal identification (e.g drivers licence or passport)
- Provide a Senior First Aid Certificate (no more than 3 years old). Find approved first aid providers
- Provide a SURF Rescue certificate (no more than 24 months old. Australia: 12 months old) Find approved surf rescue providers
If you are not able to demonstrate competent intermediate SUP surfing paddling skills at the workshop, one additional video assessment can be submitted for free.
Workshop: 1 day
Plus post workshop assessment & practical hours work experience.
You have 12 months from date of workshop to complete all course requirements.
What we provide:
Level 3 Stand Up Paddle Instructor (Beginner Surf) Training Manual
SUP Instruction Logbook
Use of ASI Level 3 SUP INstructor (Beginner Surf) logo
12 months membership
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- SUP surfing stand up paddle board
- Long leash (leg-rope)
- SUP clothing suitable for SUP surfing
ASI Level 3 Stand Up Paddle Instructor (Beginner Surf) Certificate
(valid for 12 months from the date you attended the workshop)
Additional certificate issued:
ASI also issues education department approved training certificates. These do not expire.
ASI is an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) with authority to issue NRT certificates.
Australian Department of Education. Registered Training Organisation RTO ID 91496
The following certificate is issued to students undertaking training in Australia.
Statement of Attainment in Certificate IV in Outdoor Recreation (SIS40313)
for units of competency:
TAEDEL401A Plan, organise and deliver group based learning
SISOODR303A Guide outdoor recreation sessions
SISOODR302A Plan outdoor recreation activities
SISOOPS201A Minimise environmental impact practices
SISOSRF201A Demonstrate surf survival and self rescue skills
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page. click here