This course is available as a physical workshop, an online flexible learning course or as a combination of workshop and online with our flexible trainer option.
Find more details below and select the best course option for you.
This is the entry level course for SUP instructors. Deliver basic SUP lessons, short SUP paddle tours and SUP rentals in enclosed flat water locations.
Qualified to instruct at Enclosed Flat Water locations, defined as:
- inland waterways and bodies of water including creeks, rivers, lakes, lagoons, estuaries, canals
- no wider than 1 km (0.6 miles)
- with no swell or breaking waves
- wind speed less than 12 knots
- water depth no less than 3ft
- free from hazards
- no more than 250 metres from shore
- Stand Up Paddle Instructor in the SUP or outdoor recreation industry.
- Industry job roles that require SUP knowledge (e.g. marketing, sales, retail)
- The role of the SUP instructor
- Identify laws and regulations that apply to conducting SUP lessons
- Identify enclosed flat water SUP lesson/activity risks and hazards
- Emergency processes and response
- Logistics and how to plan enclosed flat water SUP sessions
- Suitable boards, equipment and resources
- Communication skills for the SUP environment
- Methods to manage clients safely
- Deliver basic SUP lessons and SUP activities
- Understand correct paddling technique including the 5 phases of the paddle stroke
- Identify correct and incorrect technique using ASI assessment competency guide
- Use video analysis to assess your own paddling ability
- Evaluate your own SUP sessions
- Minimise environmental impacts (social & natural)
Before starting this course, you must have:
- have at least 100 hours on water SUP paddling experience.
- Paddle ability: paddle with confidence and safety at a minimum at the ASI SUP Wise Enclosed Flat Water Foundation skills level.
- English speaking skills equivalent to IELTS 6 (Competent user: Generally you have an effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriate usage and misunderstandings. You can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.)
An intensive course that focuses on the major components, with the ability to interact with the trainer and the group.
Study in your own time with ASI's e-learning platform. Upload video to demonstrate skills.
Complete theory on the ASI e-learning platform and complete practical assessments - face to face - with an ASI Trainer, at a time that suits you.
Transfer - Update
Is for people who hold a non ASI SUP instructor qualification and want to be an ASI SUP instructor.
OR for ASI instructors whose qualification has expired.
It allows you to get recognition for your past experience. You complete some assessments to become familiar with current ASI procedures however you do not need to complete practical hours. Complete theory on the ASI e-Learning Platform.
ASI's E-learning Platform
ASI's e-learning platform provides access to training manuals, videos, reference materials and assessments. All information is submitted online, allowing you to keep track of what you have submitted and gain individualised trainer feedback.
Read / view training manual/videos and complete multi-choice online tests.
Demonstrate correct paddling technique.
Complete paddling mission test -paddle for 1km in under 10 mins.
Complete 10 hours practical work experience, assisting in the delivery of lessons of tours, at an ASI or approved SUP school. (exemption for transfer-update)
Submit a current water rescue certificate
Submit a current first aid certificate
Submit SUP Wise enclosed flat water certificate (exemption available)
Attend workshop, complete theory and exercises.
demonstrate correct paddling technique and complete paddling mission test
Practice lesson delivery
Paddling video is taken by trainer and analysed in the classroom
Workshop Duration: 2 days. Plus: post workshop assessment (approx 2-3 hours) and 10 hours practical work experience.
Complete online theory and exercises.
Paddling skills: submit video demonstrating correct technique: 3 x videos of 1 min (1. paddling on left side. 2. paddling on right side. 3. paddling front on).
Paddling mission test. Submit video - Paddle for 1km (0.6 miles) in under 10 mins. GPS tracking to be provided.
Duration: Theory approx. 10 hours. Plus obtaining video and 10 hours practical work experience.
Flexible Trainer Delivery
Complete online theory and exercises.
Then Contact a trainer at an ASI Instructor Training Centre to organise your practical assessments.
Practical session: lesson delivery, paddling video is taken by trainer and analysed with you.
Duration: Theory approx. 10 hours. Practical duration: 2 hours. And 10 hours practical work experience.
Transfer - Update Course
Complete online theory to update knowledge (and complete exercises optional).
List where you have completed or assisted in 25 hours instruction, in the previous 12 months (SUP school owner to sign).
Paddling skills: submit video demonstrating correct technique: 3 x videos of 1 mins (1. paddling on left side. 2. paddling on right side. 3. paddling front on).
PaddlinEg mission test. Submit video - Paddle for 1km (0.6 miles) in under 10 mins. GPS tracking to be provided.
Duration: Theory approx. 6 hours. Plus obtaining video.
+ SUP Wise Enclosed Flat Water
Completed ASI SUP Wise Enclosed Flat Water Foundation course (and been issued your SUP Wise Enclosed Flat Water Paddlers Card).
Exemption. Are an experienced paddler and abiding by ASI SUP paddling guidelines and terminology.
+ First Aid and Water Rescue Certificates
Rescue and first aid certificates can be submitted before or after the training.
As a minimum, you need a Flat Water Rescue certificate. You can also hold a surf rescue certificate.
The certificate date must not be expired. Certificates that are more than 2 years old are not accepted. (Australia. certificate cannot be more than 1 year old)
(ASI offers an e-learning SUP flat water rescue courses)
Find Approved Flat Water Rescue Training Providers
Find Approved Surf Rescue Training Providers
Senior First Aid:
The certificate date must not be expired. Certificates that are more than 3 years old are not accepted.
Online only or First Aid at Work certificates are not acceptable. Topics should cover situations that could occur in outdoors environments. A description of topics is at:
Find Description and Approved Senior First Aid Training Providers
+ Completing Work Experience Practical Hours
Complete 10 hours assisting in enclosed flat water SUP instruction at an ASI accredited or other approved SUP school.
(2 hours are signed off at the workshop if you are competent)
(Exemption: recognition of previous experience can be provided)
+ Demonstrating Competency
If you cannot demonstrate competent paddling skills or complete the mission test within time, you can submit video for re-assessment.
First reassessment is free.
Fees apply. See FAQs about ASI Courses for re-assessment fees.
+ Time to Complete
You have 12 months to complete all course requirements. At which time the enrolment will cancel.
What we provide:
Level 1 Stand Up Paddle Instructor (Enclosed Flat Water) Online Manuals
SUP Instruction Logbook
Access to paddling technique videos
ASI membership valid for 12 months
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- Flat water stand up paddle board
- Coiled leash (leg-rope)
- SUP clothing suitable for paddling
- Access to ASI SUP school or approved school to complete your practical hours experience (as applicable).
In addition, for E-learning courses:
- Computer to access ASI e-learning platform
- Video camera or mobile phone to take video of practical skills
- GPS tracking device such as a watch or phone GPS apps, eg...map my run.
ASI Level 1 Stand Up Paddle Instructor (Enclosed Flat Water) Certificate
(valid for 12 months from the date you attended the workshop)
Additional certificate issued:
ASI also issues education department approved training certificates. These do not expire.
ASI is an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and also issues the following certificate to students undertaking training in Australia.
Australian Department of Education. Registered Training Organisation RTO ID 91496.
Statement of Attainment in Certificate IV in Outdoor Leadership SIS40619
for units of competency:
SISOSUP004 Lead stand up paddle boarding activities on inland flatwater
SISOSUP001 Paddle a stand up board on inland flatwater
SISOFLD002 Minimise environmental impact
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page. click here