The ASI Level 2 Surfing Instructor training course is to teach improver to intermediate surfing skills. Take your beginner students to the next level - to catch and ride 3 ft waves and start performing intermediate level surfing manoeuvres.
Deliver, plan and assess improver to intermediate surfing sessions.
Intermediate level surf locations: surf up to 3ft (1 metre)
Surfing instructor in the surfing or outdoor recreation industry.
Industry job roles that require surfing knowledge (e.g. marketing sales, retail, travel)
- The role of the level 2 surfing instructor
- Identifying intermediate level surfing session risks and hazards
- Emergency processes and responses
- Logistics and how to plan improver-intermediate surfing sessions
- Suitable boards and equipment
- Creating improver-intermediate lesson plans
- Instruction and coaching methods for improver-intermediate students
- Progression techniques from beginner to improver level
- Group and individual instruction
- Assessing student’s performance
- Abide by student to instructor ratios: maximum of 8 students to 1 accredited instructor.
Before starting this course, you must :
- have 500 hours surfing experience at various surf breaks
- hold, or completing, ASI Level 1 Surfing Instructor certificate
- have surfing skill and knowledge equivalent to ASI Level 7 Advanced Surfer - including being able to perform top turn, bottom with spray, re-entry, cutback and roundhouse cutback in 4ft to 6ft surf.
The ASI Level 2 Surfing Instructor course can be completed by:
- Attending a workshop
- Flexible learning
Delivery Option - Workshop
This intensive 1 day workshop will focus on completing the major components of the course. Some additional homework is also required to complete assessments.
Ideal for: students who want to cover theory components in an intensive format.
Workshop course requirements:
In order to gain your Surfing Instructors qualification, you will need to:
- Complete written assessments.
- Demonstrate your ASI Level 7 Advanced Surfer surfing skills. (link intermediate manoeuvres and perform roundhouse cutback)
- Demonstrate improver/intermediate level lesson delivery.
After the workshop:
- Submit written project of an improver/intermediate surfing session for 1 client.
- Submit surfing video performing a round-house cutback, and linking manoeuvres.
- Complete 15 hours practical work experience, assisting in delivering improver-intermediate surfing lessons, with an ASI accredited or approved surf school.
Before or after the workshop, provide copies of:
- Personal identification (e.g drivers licence or passport)
- Surf Rescue certificate and Senior First Aid certificate, OR Lifesaving (Combined Rescue & First Aid certificate).
Surf Rescue: Date of certificate is no more than 2 years old from date of completion (or 1 year old for Australia) Find Approved Surf Rescue Training Providers
Senior First Aid: The certificate date must be no more than 3 years old from date of completion. Find Description and Approved Senior First Aid Training Providers
Workshop: 1 day
Plus: post workshop project
You have 12 months from date of workshop to complete all course requirements.
Delivery Option - Flexible Learning
Work at your own pace. We post out your instructor manuals. Complete assessments to suit your schedule.
Ideal for: students who are experienced surfers, with some previous instruction experience and require flexibility in completing their qualification.
Duration: 12 months to complete the course and return Assessment Record Book to ASI.
Delivery Option - Apprenticeship
Complete assessments and all qualification requirements, under the guidance of an ASI expert Trainer at an ASI Instructor Training Centre (Surf School).
Ideal for: students who like to work with an ASI Trainer and complete all course requirements within 6 weeks.
Duration: completed over a period of 6 weeks or sooner. Approx. 5 hours practical plus 20 hours theory in total. Assessment Record Book signed by ASI Trainer on the job.
What we provide:
Level 2 Surfing Instructor Training Manual
Level 2 Project Assessment logbook
ASI Learn to Surf - Intermediate level manual
Use of ASI Level 2 Surfing Instructor logo
12 months ASI membership
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- Surf clothing
- Fibreglass surfboard to demonstrate ASI Level 7 advanced surfing skills.
- Beginner soft-top boards with soft fins and leash
ASI Level 2 Surfing Instructor
(valid for 12 months from date of workshop)
Additional certificate issued:
ASI also issues education department approved training certificates. These do not expire.
ASI is an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and also issues the following certificate to students undertaking training in Australia
Australian Department of Education. Registered Training Organisation RTO ID 91496
Statement of Attainment in Certificate IV in Outdoor Recreation (SIS40313)
for units of competency:
SISOSRF409A Instruct basic to intermediate surfing skills
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page: click here