The ASI Level 2 Surfing Coach training course is for instructors with advanced surfing skill and a minimum of 24 months surfing instructor experience. This workshop focuses on analysis and technique correction. You'll learn how to assess and coach individuals and groups to improve surfing ability and create individualised coaching programs.
Coach individuals and groups to improve intermediate to advanced level surfing ability
Advanced level surf locations in surf up to 6ft (2 metres)
Surfing instructor in the surfing or outdoor recreation industry.
Industry job roles that require surfing knowledge (e.g. marketing, sales, retail)
- Advanced level surfing criteria and competencies
- Advanced level surfing coaching risks and hazards
- Factors affecting surfing dynamics and performance
- Manoeuvres performed at the advanced level
- The mechanics of advanced level surfing manoevures
- Assessing advanced level surfing performance
- Identify drills to improve performance
- Prepare individualised coaching sessions & programs
- Prepare group coaching sessions & programs
- Conduct effective video analysis
- Evaluate coaching plans to determined effectiveness
Before starting this course, you must:
- Have at least advanced surfing skill and knowledge level. Able to perform and link advanced level manoeuvres including roundhouse cut-back, floater, snap, vertical re-entry, tube ride, in surf up to 6ft (2 metres) at different surf breaks
- Hold current ASI Level 1 Surfing Instructor certificate.
- Minimum of 24 months recent surfing instruction experience.
The ASI Level 2 Surfing Coach course can be completed by:
Delivery Option - Workshop
In order to gain your Level 2 Surfing Coach qualification, you will need to:
At the workshop:
- Demonstrate your advanced level surfing skills
- Complete a written test to demonstrate your advanced level surfing knowledge.
- Demonstrate delivery of advanced level surfing drills and coaching sessions for individuals and groups.
After the workshop:
- Complete practical projects: prepare an individualised coaching program for two different surfers.
- Provide video of you performing and linking a range of advanced level surfing manoeuvres, at two different surf breaks.
Before or after the workshop, provide copies of:
- Personal identification (e.g drivers licence or passport)
- Surf Rescue certificate and Senior First Aid certificate, OR Lifesaving (Combined Rescue & First Aid certificate).
Surf Rescue: Date of certificate is no more than 2 years old from date of completion (or 1 year old for Australia) Find Approved Surf Rescue Training Providers
Senior First Aid: The certificate date must be no more than 3 years old from date of completion. Find Description and Approved Senior First Aid Training Providers
You have 12 months from date of workshop to complete all course requirements.
Workshop: 2 days
Plus: post workshop projects
What we provide:
Level 2 Surfing Coach Training Manual
Level 2 Assessment & Competency Record Book
ASI Learn to Surf Advanced Level manual
Use of ASI Level 2 Surfing Coach logo
12 months membership
Equipment required to complete the training:
- Suitable surf clothing
- Fibreglass surfboard to demonstrate advanced surfing skills.
ASI Level 2 Surfing Coach
(valid for 12 months from date of workshop)
Additional certificate issued:
ASI also issues education department approved training certificates. These do not expire.
ASI is an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and also issues the following certificate to students undertaking training in Australia.
Australian Department of Education. Registered Training Organisation RTO ID 91496
Statement of Attainment in Certificate IV in Outdoor Recreation (SIS40313)
for units of competency:
SISOSRF406A Perform advanced level surfing manoeuvres
SISOSRF410A Instruct advanced surfing skills
SISOSRF407A Perform rescues in moderate to difficult condition
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page: click here