The ASI Level 1 Surfing Instructor training course is your first step in becoming a surfing instructor. Learn how to safely deliver lessons, group student management and how to create effective lesson plans. At the end of this course, you will be prepared to start delivering lessons with confidence and a ready to use format.
Teach beginner surfing lessons and activities
Beginner level surf locations: surf no larger than 1½ft (½ metre)
Surfing instructor in the surfing or outdoor recreation industry.
Industry job roles that require surfing knowledge (e.g. marketing sales, retail, travel)
- The role of the surfing instructor
- Identifying laws and regulations that apply to conducting surfing lessons
- Client management and safety
- Identifying surfing lesson risks and hazards
- Emergency processes and responses
- Logistics and how to plan surfing sessions
- Suitable boards, equipment and resources
- Communication skills for the surfing environment
- Instruction and coaching methods
- Creating lesson plans
- Assessing students performance
- Evaluating surfing lessons
- Minimising environmental impacts (social & natural)
- Abide by student to instructor ratios: maximum of 8 students to 1 accredited instructor.
Before starting this course, you must have:
- 500 hours surfing experience
- surfing skills and knowledge equivalent to ASI Level 6 Intermediate Surfer. Able to effectively ride waves, with control and link and perform intermediate level manoeuvres - top turn, bottom turn and cutback in 3ft surf.
The ASI Level 1 Surfing Instructor course can be completed by:
- Attending a workshop
- Flexible learning
Delivery Option - Workshop
This intensive 2 day workshop will focus on completing the major components of the course. Some additional homework is also required to complete assessments and gain practical on-the-job instruction experience.
Ideal for: students who want to cover theory components in an intensive format.
Workshop course requirements:
In order to gain your Surfing Instructors qualification, you will need to:
After the workshop:
- Complete 25 hours practical work experience, assisting in delivering surfing lessons, with an ASI accredited or approved surf school.
- Complete a written assessment to demonstrate your intermediate level surfing knowledge and provide video or photos surfing at a another surf break, demonstrating intermediate level surfing manoeuvres (including linking manoeuvres and performing cutback or re-entry).
Before or after the workshop, provide copies of:
- Personal identification (e.g drivers licence or passport)
- Surf Rescue certificate and Senior First Aid certificate, OR Lifesaving (Combined Rescue & First Aid certificate).
Surf Rescue: Date of certificate is no more than 2 years old from date of completion (or 1 year old for Australia) Find Approved Surf Rescue Training Providers
Senior First Aid: The certificate date must be no more than 3 years old from date of completion. Find Description and Approved Senior First Aid Training Providers
Workshop: 2 days
Plus: post workshop practical work experience
You have 12 months from date of workshop to complete all course requirements.
Delivery Option - Flexible Learning
Work at your own pace. We post out your instructor manuals. Complete assessments and organise practical on-the-job instruction experience to suit your schedule.
Ideal for: students who are experienced surfers, with some previous instruction experience and require flexibility in completing their qualification.
Duration: 12 months to complete the course and return Assessment Record Book to ASI.
Find out more..
Delivery Option - Apprenticeship
Complete practical on-the-job instruction experience, assessments and all qualification requirements, under the guidance of an ASI expert Trainer at an ASI Instructor Training Centre (Surf School).
Ideal for: students who like to work with an ASI Trainer and complete all course requirements within 6 weeks.
Duration: completed over a period of 6 weeks or sooner. 25 hours practical instruction experience with approx. 5 hours theory per week (feedback sessions and homework). Assessment Record Book signed by ASI Trainer on the job.
Delivery Option - Transfer/Update
Transfer / update delivery option applies:
- if your ASI Surfing qualification has expired and you need to update your knowledge and skills and obtain a new instructor qualification
- you hold a different surfing instructor qualification and wish to also hold the ASI Surfing Instructor certificate
Find out more..
What we provide:
Level 1 Surfing Instructor Training Manual
Level 1 Assessment & Competency Record Book
ASI Learn to Surf for Beginners level DVD
ASI Learn to Surf Intermediate level manual
12 months ASI membership
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- Surf clothing
- Fibreglass surfboard to demonstrate intermediate surfing skills.
- Beginner soft-top boards with soft fins and leash
ASI Level 1 Surfing Instructor
(valid for 12 months from date of workshop)
Additional certificate issued:
ASI also issues education department approved training certificates. These do not expire.
ASI is an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and also issues the following certificate to students undertaking training in Australia
Australian Department of Education. Registered Training Organisation RTO ID 91496
Statement of Attainment in Certificate IV in Outdoor Recreation (SIS40313)
for units of competency:
SISOSRF202A Demonstrate basic surfing manoeuvres in controlled conditions
SISOSRF303A Perform intermediate level surfing manoeuvres
SISOSRF409A Instruct basic to intermediate surfing skills
SISOSRF201A Demonstrate surf survival and self rescue skills
SISOSRF304A Perform a simple rescue in moderate surf conditions
SISOOPS201A Minimise environmental impact practices
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page: click here