The ASI Level 1 Surfing Instructor training course is your first step in becoming a surfing instructor. Learn how to safely deliver lessons, group student management and how to create effective lesson plans. At the end of this course, you will be prepared to start delivering lessons with confidence and a ready to use format.
The workshop delivery option focuses on completing the major components of the course, with the ability to interact with the trainer and the group.
Teach beginner surfing lessons and activities
Beginner level surf locations: surf no larger than 1½ft (½ metre)
Surfing instructor in the surfing or outdoor recreation industry.
Industry job roles that require surfing knowledge (e.g. marketing sales, retail, travel)
- The role of the surfing instructor
- Identifying laws and regulations that apply to conducting surfing lessons
- Client management and safety
- Identifying surfing lesson risks and hazards
- Emergency processes and responses
- Logistics and how to plan surfing sessions
- Suitable boards, equipment and resources
- Communication skills for the surfing environment
- Instruction and coaching methods
- Creating lesson plans
- Assessing students performance
- Evaluating surfing lessons
- Minimising environmental impacts (social & natural)
- Abide by student to instructor ratios: maximum of 8 students to 1 accredited instructor.
Before starting this course, you must have:
- 500 hours surfing experience
- surfing skills and knowledge equivalent to ASI Level 6 Intermediate Surfer.
- ability to select appropriate, makeable wave and ride the wave effectively, demonstrating control and performing and linking intermediate level manoeuvres (bottom turn and top turn, cut-back on forehand).
- English speaking skills equivalent to IELTS 6 (Competent user: Generally you have an effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriate usage and misunderstandings. You can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.)
Workshop Delivery Method
This intensive 2 day workshop will focus on completing the major components of the course. Some additional homework is also required to complete written assessment and gain practical on-the-job instruction experience.
Ideal for: students who want to cover theory components in an intensive format.
To gain your Surfing Instructors qualification, you will need to:
- Complete written assessments.
- Demonstrate surfing ability - able to select appropriate, makeable wave and ride the wave effectively, demonstrating control and performing and linking intermediate level manoeuvres (bottom turn, top turn, cutbank forehand). See detailed assessment criteria at: ASI Level 6 Intermediate Surfer
- Demonstrate beginner level lesson delivery.
After the workshop:
- Complete 25 hours practical work experience, assisting in delivering surfing lessons, with an ASI accredited or approved surf school.
- Complete a written assessment to demonstrate your intermediate level surfing knowledge
- Provide surfing video, demonstrating intermediate level surfing manoeuvres - able to select appropriate, makeable wave and ride the wave effectively, demonstrating control and performing and linking intermediate level manoeuvres (bottom turn, top turn, cutback on forehand). See detailed assessment criteria at: ASI Level 6 Intermediate Surfer
(Note: Photos are not acceptable. However, photos performing high quality advanced level 9 to elite-advanced level 10 surfing manoeuvres, in the middle of turns can be submitted).
Before or after the workshop, provide copies of:
- Personal identification (e.g drivers licence or passport)
- Surf Rescue certificate and Senior First Aid certificate, OR Lifesaving (Combined Rescue & First Aid certificate).
Surf Rescue: Date of certificate is no more than 2 years old from date of completion (or 1 year old for Australia) Find Approved Surf Rescue Training Providers
Senior First Aid: The certificate date must be no more than 3 years old from date of completion. Find Description and Approved Senior First Aid Training Providers
Workshop: 2 days
Plus: post workshop assessment (approx 3-10 hours) and practical work experience (25 hours).
You have 12 months from date of workshop to complete all course requirements.
What we provide:
Level 1 Surfing Instructor Training Manual
Practical hours Logbook
ASI Learn to Surf for Beginners level DVD
ASI Learn to Surf Intermediate level manual
12 months ASI membership
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- Surf clothing
- Fibreglass surfboard to demonstrate intermediate surfing skills.
- Beginner soft-top boards with soft fins and leash
ASI Level 1 Surfing Instructor
(valid for 12 months from date of workshop)
Additional certificate issued:
ASI also issues education department approved training certificates. These do not expire.
ASI is an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and also issues the following certificate to students undertaking training in Australia
Australian Department of Education. Registered Training Organisation RTO ID 91496
Statement of Attainment in Certificate IV in Outdoor Recreation (SIS40313)
for units of competency:
SISOSRF202A Demonstrate basic surfing manoeuvres in controlled conditions
SISOSRF303A Perform intermediate level surfing manoeuvres
SISOSRF409A Instruct basic to intermediate surfing skills
SISOSRF201A Demonstrate surf survival and self rescue skills
SISOSRF304A Perform a simple rescue in moderate surf conditions
SISOOPS201A Minimise environmental impact practices
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page: click here