Transfer - Update Course
Is for people who hold a non ASI surfing instructor qualification and want to be an ASI Surfing instructor.
OR for ASI instructors whose qualification has expired.
It allows you to get recognition for your past experience. You complete some assessments to become familiar with current ASI procedures however you do not need to complete practical hours.
Deliver beginner surfing lessons and activities.
You can complete the theory and assessments within a few days.
You have 12 months to complete all course requirements from date of enrolment.
Enrolment: Anytime. Complete enrolment form. Find Transfer/Update courses
Qualified to instruct at Beginner level surf locations: surf no larger than 1½ft (½ metre)
Surfing instructor in the surfing or outdoor recreation industry.
Industry job roles that require surfing knowledge (e.g. marketing sales, retail, travel)
- The role of the surfing instructor
- Identifying laws and regulations that apply to conducting surfing lessons
- Client management and safety
- Identifying surfing lesson risks and hazards
- Emergency processes and responses
- Logistics and how to plan surfing sessions
- Suitable boards, equipment and resources
- Communication skills for the surfing environment
- Instruction and coaching methods
- Creating lesson plans
- Assessing students performance
- Evaluating surfing lessons
- Minimising environmental impacts (social & natural)
- Abide by student to instructor ratios: maximum of 8 students to 1 accredited instructor.
Before starting this course, you must have:
- a non-ASI surfing instructor qualification (not expired by more than 1 year)
and been delivering or assisting in delivering surfing lessons in the past 12 months.
- OR hold an expired ASI surfing instructor certificate
and been assisting in delivering surfing lessons in the past 12 months, or been delivering other outdoor water based instructor activities.
- surfing skills and knowledge equivalent to ASI Level 6 Intermediate Surfer.
ability to select appropriate, makeable wave and ride the wave effectively, demonstrating control and performing and linking intermediate level manoeuvres (bottom turn and top turn, cut-back on forehand).
- English speaking skills equivalent to IELTS 6 (Competent user: Generally you have an effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriate usage and misunderstandings. You can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.)
- This is an online course.
- Work at your own pace.
- Complete some assessments and provide evidence of past surfing instructor experience.
- Submit assessments online.
(Note: paper based materials can be provided if you do not use a computer. Complete the assessments in the record book and return to ASI for assessment).
ASI's E-learning Platform
You will be using ASI's e-learning platform, where you can access training manuals, videos, reference materials and assessments. Alll information is submitted online, allowing you to keep track of what you have submitted and gain individualised trainer feedback.
To gain your Surfing Instructor qualification, you will need to:
Read course manuals
• Online course manuals to become familiar with ASI standards
Complete written assessment
• 1 x assessment
Demonstrate surfing ability
Able to select appropriate, makeable wave and ride the wave effectively, demonstrating control and performing and linking intermediate level manoeuvres (bottom turn, top turn, cut-back forehand). See detailed assessment criteria at: ASI Level 6 Intermediate Surfer
Submit surfing video demonstrating intermediate surfing skill:
• 1 x video
If the video you submitted does not demonstrate competency, you can re-submit video for re-assessment. Fees apply. See FAQs about ASI Courses
for Re-assessment Fees.
List where you have completed or assisted in delivering 25 hours instruction in the previous 12 months (surf school owner to sign).
Non ASI Surfing Instructor Certificate
Provide copy of your non-ASI surfing instructor qualification.
Submit Surf Rescue certificate and Senior First Aid certificate
(UK only Combined Rescue & First Aid certificate).
What we provide:
- Level 1 Surfing Instructor Training Manual
- ASI Learn to Surf for Beginners manual
- ASI Learn to Surf Intermediate level manual
12 months ASI membership
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- Surf clothing
- Fibreglass surfboard to demonstrate intermediate surfing skills.
- Computer to access ASI online learning
ASI Level 1 Surfing Instructor
(valid for 12 months from date of enrolment)
Additional certificate issued:
ASI also issues education department approved training certificates. These do not expire.
ASI is an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and also issues the following certificate to students undertaking training in Australia
Australian Department of Education. Registered Training Organisation RTO ID 91496
Statement of Attainment in Certificate III in Outdoor Leadership (SIS30619)
for units of competency:
SISOSRF004 Lead surfing activities, small waves and basic manoeuvres
SISOSRF002 Surf waves using intermediate manoeuvres
SISOSRF001 Surf small waves using basic manoeuvres
SISOFLD002 Minimise environmental impact
PUASAR012 Apply surf awareness and self-rescue skills
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page: click here