The ASI Level 1 Surfing Instructor training course is your first step in becoming a surfing instructor. Learn how to safely deliver lessons, group student management and how to create effective lesson plans. At the end of this course, you will be prepared to start delivering lessons with confidence and a ready to use format.
This Apprenticeship Learning Delivery option allows you to complete practical on-the-job instruction experience, assessments and course requirements, under the guidance of an ASI Trainer at an ASI Instructor Training Centre. Enrol at any time.
Teach beginner surfing lessons and activities.
Beginner level surf locations: surf no larger than 1½ft (½ metre)
Surfing instructor in the surfing or outdoor recreation industry.
Industry job roles that require surfing knowledge (e.g. marketing sales, retail, travel)
- The role of the surfing instructor
- Identifying laws and regulations that apply to conducting surfing lessons
- Client management and safety
- Identifying surfing lesson risks and hazards
- Emergency processes and responses
- Logistics and how to plan surfing sessions
- Suitable boards, equipment and resources
- Communication skills for the surfing environment
- Instruction and coaching methods
- Creating lesson plans
- Assessing students performance
- Evaluating surfing lessons
- Minimising environmental impacts (social & natural)
- Abide by student to instructor ratios: maximum of 8 students to 1 accredited instructor.
Before starting this course, you must have:
- 500 hours surfing experience
- surfing skills and knowledge equivalent to ASI Level 6 Intermediate Surfer.
- ability to select appropriate, makeable wave and ride the wave effectively, demonstrating control and performing and linking intermediate level manoeuvres (bottom turn and top turn, cut-back on forehand).
- English speaking skills equivalent to IELTS 6 (Competent user: Generally you have an effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriate usage and misunderstandings. You can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.)
Apprenticeship Delivery Method
- Work with an ASI Trainer - who will organise your practical hours, check your written assessments as you progress though the course and provide assistance as required.
- Complete all course requirements within 6 weeks.
- Have some flexibility in completing your training within the 6 weeks
- Contact an ASI Trainer at an ASI Instructor Training Centre
- Confirm the Trainer has availability.
- Complete online enrolment form and payment - list the trainers name on the enrolment form.
- We post your training manuals to you.
- Complete written assessments in your own time
- Attend practical hours training
- The trainer will check your assessments and sign your Assessment and Competency Record Book.
- You return the Assessment Record Book to ASI to be assessed.
To gain your Surfing Instructor qualification, you will need to:
- Read the instructor manuals.
- Complete written assessments.
- Provide surfing video demonstrating surfing ability - able to select appropriate, makeable wave and ride the wave effectively, demonstrating control and performing and linking intermediate level manoeuvres (bottom turn, top turn, cutbank forehand). See detailed assessment criteria at: ASI Level 6 Intermediate Surfer
(Note: Photos are not acceptable. However, photos performing high quality advanced level 9 to elite-advanced level 10 surfing manoeuvres, in the middle of turns can be submitted).
- Complete practical on-the-job instruction experience (25 hours), as organised by your Trainer. Logbook hours and testimonial form to be signed by trainer.
- Personal identification (e.g drivers licence or passport)
- Surf Rescue certificate and Senior First Aid certificate, OR Lifesaving (Combined Rescue & First Aid certificate).
Surf Rescue: Date of certificate is no more than 2 years old from date of completion (or 1 year old for Australia) Find Approved Surf Rescue Training Providers
Senior First Aid: The certificate date must be no more than 3 years old from date of completion. Find Description and Approved Senior First Aid Training Providers
Submit ASI Assessment Record Book and the above to ASI for assessment.
Completed over a period of up to 6 weeks.
Includes 25 hours practical on the job instruction experience and approx. 4 to 7 hours theory per week (feedback sessions and homework).
However, you have 12 months to complete all course requirements.
What we provide:
Level 1 Surfing Instructor Training Manual
Level 1 Assessment & Competency Record Book
ASI Learn to Surf for Beginners level DVD
ASI Learn to Surf Intermediate level manual
12 months ASI membership
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- Surf clothing
- Fibreglass surfboard to demonstrate intermediate surfing skills.
- Beginner soft-top boards with soft fins and leash (provided by Trainer)
- Access to ASI Trainer and ASI Instructor Training Centre surf school
ASI Level 1 Surfing Instructor
(valid for 12 months from date of enrolment)
Additional certificate issued:
ASI also issues education department approved training certificates. These do not expire.
ASI is an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and also issues the following certificate to students undertaking training in Australia
Australian Department of Education. Registered Training Organisation RTO ID 91496
Statement of Attainment in Certificate IV in Outdoor Recreation (SIS40313)
for units of competency:
SISOSRF202A Demonstrate basic surfing manoeuvres in controlled conditions
SISOSRF303A Perform intermediate level surfing manoeuvres
SISOSRF409A Instruct basic to intermediate surfing skills
SISOSRF201A Demonstrate surf survival and self rescue skills
SISOSRF304A Perform a simple rescue in moderate surf conditions
SISOOPS201A Minimise environmental impact practices
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page: click here