The ASI SUP Wise Intensiv (Enclosed Flat Water) contains in-depth knowledge and skills to get you paddling with correct technique, with confidence and identify and assess safe paddling locations and conditions, at a range of enclosed flat water locations.
This is a competency based course where you submit your own paddling video for assessment and feedback according to the ASI criteria.
It is also the pre-requisite course for ASI SUP Instructors as part of the ASI SUP Instructor pathway.
Choose workshop or online option.
Identify and demonstrate the skills and knowledge to paddle with correct technique and safety at the foundations skill level, utilising the ASI methodology and guidelines.
Applies to inland waterways and bodies of water including creeks, rivers, lakes, lagoons, estuaries, canals:
- no wider than 1 km (0.6 miles)
- water flow less than 2 knots
- with no swell or breaking waves
- wind speed less than 12 knots
- no more than 250 metres from shore
Assistant SUP Instructor
Industry job roles that require SUP knowledge (e.g. marketing, sales, retail)
- The enclosed flat water environment, locations, water, weather covering types and conditions
- SUP location hazards and safety
- SUP personal hazards and safety
- Laws and regulation
- Self-rescue techniques
- Environmental impact
- SUP boards, paddles, leashes, other equipment and accessories for SUP
- SUP clothing
- The 3P’s of paddling
- The 5 phases of the paddling stroke - entry, catch, power phase, exit, recovery
- Correct hinging and reach, paddle position
- Paddling on knees
- Enter and exit the water correctly
- Methods to stop, safe falling and dismount
- Getting back on board techniques
- Turning - back paddling, sweep stroke, pivot turn
- SUP etiquette
Environment & Safety
Technique & Guidelines - Paddle Stroke
Technique & Guidelines - Other SUP Skills
- Swim 50 metres (164 ft)
- Have a least 10 hours paddling experience and/or have completed the ASI SUP Wise Activ or the ASI SUP Wise L1 (Enclosed Flat Water) learn to SUP programs with an ASI School
The workshop is not a learn to SUP or coaching course. It is designed to cover, discuss and practice correct techniques, skills and guidelines and provide feedback on your own technique. Post workshop, submit your paddling video for formal assessment.
Duration: 3 hours.
Study in your own time with ASI's e-learning platform. Submission of video of your SUP paddling skills.
ASI's E-learning Platform provides access to training manuals, videos, reference materials and assessments. Trainer telephone/email support.
- Attend workshop
- Post workshop - Submit video of paddle stroke technique (3 short videos 1 min each - left side, right side, front on)
- Read online manual and view videos
- Complete online multi-choice tests
- Submit video of paddle stroke technique (3 short videos 1 min each - left side, right side, front on)
- Submit video of other paddle skills (10 mins approx.) demonstrating ability to perform: enter and exit water, falling off, getting back on, paddling on knees, turning strokes.
What we provide:
1 free video assessment
Online manual with access for 12 months
Access to the ASI e-learning platform
2 free video assessments
The following is required to complete the training:
- Flat water stand up paddle board, paddle, coiled leash
- SUP clothing suitable for paddling
- Camera to take video (eg mobile phone)
In addition for online learning:
Computer or mobile phone to access ASI e-learning platform
On successful completion and deemed competent you will be awarded:
- ASI SUP Wise Intensiv certificate
- ASI SUP Paddlers Card (Enclosed Flat Water) - Recreational Paddler.
(This handy credit card sized card may be used to rent SUP boards or gain entry into higher level SUP courses.)
Additional certificate issued: