The ASI SUP Wise Intensiv (Enclosed Flat Water) paddle skills course combines online learning and practical skills. It is the next level up from SUP Wise Activ and contains more indepth knowledge and skills to get you paddling with efficiency and effectively at a range of flat water paddling locations.
This comprehensive course covers an extensive range of types of locations, environments, water and weather conditions as well as hazards, equipment, clothing and paddle skills techniques, These include entering the water, stopping, turning, the stages of the paddle stroke, the best way to fall off your board and a number of ways to get back on your board.
The online manual has loads of videos and explanations to help perfect your paddling technique.
The course includes a review of your own paddling video with a detailed assessment of your technique and skills according to the ASI criteria.
It is rated as one of the best SUP entry level courses in the world today.
To gain the knowledge and skills to paddle effectively in variety of enclosed flat water locations.
This course will help new or inexperienced paddlers gain the knowledge and skills to evaluate, and paddle safely in, multiple environments and conditions, gain confidence on a board and develop the skills to paddle efficiently in flatwater locations. But also for the self-taught or more experienced paddlers who would like to put some structure and greater understanding around their paddling.
It provides a solid foundation for recreational paddlers and is also the pathway and prerequisite to becoming an ASI SUP Instructor.
Applies to inland waterways and bodies of water including creeks, rivers, lakes, lagoons, estuaries, canals:
- no wider than 1 km (0.6 miles)
- with no swell or breaking waves
- wind speed less than 12 knots
- no more than 250 metres from shore
Assistant SUP Instructor
Industry job roles that require SUP knowledge (e.g. marketing, sales, retail)
Environment & Safety
- The enclosed flat water environment, locations, water, weather covering types and conditions
- SUP location hazards and safety
- SUP personal hazards and safety
- Self-rescue techniques
- Environmental impact
- SUP boards, paddles, leashes, other equipment and accessories for SUP
- SUP clothing
Technique & Guidelines
- The 3P’s of paddling
- The 5 phases of the paddling stroke
- Paddling on knees
- Enter and exit the water correctly
- How to stop, safe falling and dismount
- Getting back on board techniques
- Turning - back paddling, sweep stroke, pivot turn
- SUP etiquette
Swim 50 metres (164 ft)
Read course information / view videos in your own time.
Submit video for assessment.
There are 2 course components:
Read the online manual and view videos
Complete online multi-choice tests - to test your knowledge.
- Submit video of paddle stroke technique
- Submit video of other paddle skills (10-15 mins approx.) demonstrating ability to perform: enter and exit water, falling off, getting back on, paddling on knees, turning strokes.
Time to Complete
You have 12 months to complete all course requirements.
Should you want or require additional coaching to assist in developing your SUP skills you can contact an ASI Instructor from the following list and make your arrangements directly with them. Additional fees apply.
Find ASI Instructors/Trainers
What we provide:
- SUP Wise Intensiv (Enclosed Flat Water) online manual
- Access to the ASI e-learning platform
- Assessment of your paddle stroke technique and other paddle skills via submitted videos
The following is required to complete the training:
- Flat water stand up paddle board, paddle, coiled leash
- SUP clothing suitable for paddling
- Computer or mobile phone to access ASI e-learning platform
On successful completion and deemed competent you will be awarded:
SUP Wise paddlers card (Enclosed Flat Water) - Recreational Paddler.
This handy credit card sized card may be used to rent SUP boards or gain entry into higher level SUP courses.
Deemed Not Yet Competent?
You can resubmit video for reassessment any time within the 12 months.
Additional fees apply.
Additional certificate issued:
What happens if I don't pass?
Nothing happens. The feedback is for you only. You can decide to work on your skills and resubmit video at a later date if you are keen to get your ASI SUP Paddlers Card.
Can I meet face to face with an instructor?
Yes, ASI has a network of instructors who can give you on water feedback and coaching, take video and discuss your ability. This is not included in the course, and you would organise any coaching activities and fees direct with the instructor.
How long do I have to submit the video?
We keep your course open for 12 months, so you can submit video anytime with the 12 months.
How do I Enrol?