The ASI SUP Yoga Teacher training course sets the international standard for SUP Yoga.
This course is available as a physical workshop, an online flexible learning course or as a combination of workshop and online with our flexible trainer option. Find more details below and select the best course option for you.
Deliver basic SUP yoga sessions at flat water locations, no more than 50 metres from shore.
Note: Also complete the ASI Level 1 SUP Instructor (Enclosed Flat Water) course, if plan to deliver SUP lessons or SUP paddling tours. OR you plan to paddle more than 50 metres to your SUP yoga activity area.
Qualified to teach at SUP yoga locations, defined as:
- inland waters or coastal locations with flat water, no swell or breaking waves
- minimal or no wind
- free from hazards
- water depth no more than 4ft
- no more than 50 metres distance from shore
- kneel paddling only (no standing paddling)
- paddling less than 50 metres to get to the SUP yoga activity area
- Stand Up Paddle Yoga Teacher.
- Industry job roles that require SUP Yoga knowledge (e.g. marketing, sales, retail).
- SUP yoga safety, risk management covering weather, water, equipment and client risks and hazards
- SUP Yoga equipment - boards, anchoring systems, accessories
- Laws and regulations
- Yoga poses modified for SUP and onboard sessions
- A library of SUP Yoga poses from beginner to advanced levels
- Providing feedback and SUP Yoga technique correction
- Yoga session plans and sequences, set up, and ready to use in your own classes.
- Gaining and maintaining clients – SUP yoga marketing and business skills
Before starting this course, you must have:
- a Yoga Teacher Certificate (minimum 200 hours).
- have participated or been a student in a minimum of 10 hours of SUP yoga sessions.
- a minimum of 20 hours on water SUP paddling experience.
- have skills and knowledge to stand up paddle with confidence and safety
- English speaking skills equivalent to IELTS 6 (Competent user: Generally you have an effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriate usage and misunderstandings. You can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.)
An intensive course that focuses on the major components, with the ability to interact with the trainer and the group.
Study in your own time with ASI's e-learning platform. Upload video to demonstrate SUP Yoga poses and delivery skills.
Complete theory on the ASI e-learning platform and complete practical assessments - face to face - with an ASI Trainer, at a time that suits you.
ASI's E-learning Platform
ASI's e-learning platform provides access to training manuals, videos, reference materials and assessments. All information is submitted online, allowing you to keep track of what you have submitted and gain individualised trainer feedback.
To obtain your ASI SUP Yoga teacher certificate:
- Submit your Yoga Teacher Certificate (minimum 200 hours) - at enrolment.
- Complete theory assessments and online multi-choice test.
- Demonstrate ability to perform seated and standing SUP Yoga poses with safety.
- Demonstrate ability to prepare the class - enter the water, anchoring, organise group ready to start the session.
- Demonstrate delivering SUP Yoga sessions with safety.
- Complete 10 hours work experience at an ASI or approved SUP school.
- Submit a current water rescue certificate.
- Submit a current first aid certificate.
Attend workshop, demonstrate ability to perform SUP Yoga poses with safety
Practice and demonstrate delivering SUP Yoga sessions
Workshop Duration: 2 days. Plus: post workshop assessment (approx 2-3 hours) and 10 hours practical work experience.
Complete online theory and exercises.
Submit video of you performing a sequence of seated and standing SUP yoga poses (15 minutes).
Submit 2 x SUP Yoga delivery videos being:
a) Prepare class - enter the water, anchoring, organise group ready to start session (15 minutes)
b) Deliver a SUP yoga session on the water (15 minutes)
Duration: Theory approx. 8 hours. Plus obtaining video and 10 hours practical work experience.
Flexible Trainer Delivery
Complete online theory and exercises.
Then Contact a trainer at an ASI Instructor Training Centre to organise your practical assessments.
Practical session: performing SUP Yoga poses, prepare class enter the water, anchoring, organise group ready to start session, and deliver SUP yoga session on the water.
Duration: Theory approx. 8 hours. Practical duration: 2 hours. And 10 hours practical work experience.
+ First Aid and Water Rescue Certificates
Rescue and first aid certificates can be submitted before or after the training.
As a minimum, you need a Flat Water Rescue certificate. You can also hold a surf rescue certificate.
The certificate date must not be expired. Certificates that are more than 2 years old are not accepted. (Australia. certificate cannot be more than 1 year old)
(ASI offers an e-learning SUP flat water rescue courses)
Find Approved Flat Water Rescue Training Providers
Find Approved Surf Rescue Training Providers
Senior First Aid:
The certificate date must not be expired. Certificates that are more than 3 years old are not accepted.
Online only or First Aid at Work certificates are not acceptable. Topics should cover situations that could occur in outdoors environments. A description of topics is at:
Find Description and Approved Senior First Aid Training Providers
+ Completing Work Experience Practical Hours
Complete 10 hours assisting in SUP Yoga sessions at an ASI accredited or other approved SUP school.
(2 hours are signed off at the workshop if you are competent)
(Exemption: recognition of previous experience can be provided)
+ Demonstrating Competency
If you cannot demonstrate competent SUP yoga poses or demonstrate delivering a session with safety, you can submit video for re-assessment.
First reassessment is free.
Fees apply. See FAQs about ASI Courses for re-assessment fees.
+ Time to Complete
You have 12 months to complete all course requirements. At which time the enrolment will cancel.
What we provide:
ASI SUP Yoga Teacher manual
ASI membership valid 12 months
At workshop: anchoring system
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- SUP Yoga or flat water stand up paddle board
- Coiled leash (leg-rope)
- SUP clothing suitable for SUP Yoga
In addition, for E-learning courses:
- Computer to access ASI e-learning platform
- Video camera or mobile phone to take video of practical skills
- Anchoring system
- Another person to be your client (flexible learning course only)
ASI Level 1 Stand Up Paddle Yoga Teacher certificate
(valid for 12 months from the date you attended the workshop)
Additional certificate issued:
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page. click here