SUP Wise for ASI Instructors Foundation Skills course provides paddling techniques, skills and knowledge and competencies according to the ASI methodology. They are the foundation skills and knowledge required for SUP Instructors.
Paddle with correct technique, according to ASI methodology, and demonstrate confidence and safety at enclosed flat water locations.
Flat water, including inland waterways and bodies of water. eg. creeks, rivers, lakes, lagoons, estuaries, canals less than 1 km wide (0.6 miles).
Environment & Safety
- Understand the enclosed flat water environment
- Identify SUP personal hazards
- Identify SUP location hazards
- Choose a safe SUP location
- Identify self rescue techniques and when to apply them
- Identify how to care for the enclosed flat water SUP environment
- Enter and exit the water correctly
- Paddle in standing and kneeling position with balance and confidence
- Identify correct paddling technique – 3 P’s - Position, Posture, Paddle
- Identify the 5 phases of the paddling stroke
- Demonstrate correct method to change direction
- Demonstrate turning - back paddling left and right
- Demonstrate how to stop, safe wipe-out and dismount
- Understand how to perform a pivot turn
- Demonstrate correct SUP etiquette
Equipment & Clothing
- Choose suitable board, equipment and clothing
- Paddle with basic paddling technique, confidence and safety in enclosed flat water locations.
- Swim 50 metres (164 ft)
The ASI SUP Wise for Instructors Foundation Skills course can be completed by:
Workshop course requirements:
Participate in on water paddling.
You receive 2 hours sign off for paddling experience in the workshop.
After the workshop:
Complete 8 hours (e.g 4 x 2 hr sessions) on the water paddling experience with an ASI accredited or other approved SUP school / instructor and have them sign Certificate page in SUP Wise logbook.
(Exemption: recognition of previous SUP paddling experience can be provided by Trainer at the workshop).
Workshop: 3 hours
Plus post workshop paddling experience (as applicable).
You have 12 months from date of workshop to complete all course requirements.
What we provide:
SUP Wise Enclosed Flat Water Competency Logbook
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- Flat water stand up paddle board
- Coiled leash (leg-rope)
- SUP clothing suitable for paddling
ASI SUP Wise Level 1 Stand Up Paddle (Enclosed Flat Water) Participation Certificate
Additional certificate issued:
No renewal requirements.
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page. click here