Take your clients on short SUP tours and overnight stays at exposed waters locations. Paddle along the coast, stop along the way to eat, see the wildlife, scenery or points of interest, as you paddle from one location to the next.
This course will assist you in gaining the confidence to deliver overnight SUP tours. Learn how to create your own SUP tour/s, logistics, safety, risk management, student management and equipment. The concepts can also be applied to other types of water locations.
Plan and conduct stand up paddle tours of short duration day trips or overnight stays at exposed waters (coastal locations).
Qualified to guide SUP tours at Exposed Waters, defined as:
- coastal locations
- swell up to 2ft
- no breaking waves
- no more than 250 metres from shore
Stand Up Paddle Instructor or Guide in the SUP or outdoor recreation industry.
Industry job roles that require SUP knowledge (e.g. marketing, sales, retail)
- Identify different types of SUP tours for exposed waters locations
- Suitable SUP touring boards, all round boards
- Other equipment and clothing
- Rules and regulations applicable when conducting SUP tours
- Identify risks and hazards and how to manage risks
- Identify and forecast weather and water conditions that affect SUP touring and navigation
- How to identify and plan SUP touring routes
- How to navigate using navigation aids
- How to manage clients safely during SUP tours
- SUP touring emergency responses
Before starting this course, you must:
- Hold ASI Level 2 SUP Instructor (Exposed Waters) or equivalent
- Able to paddle 15 kms (approx 10 miles) on each day and in between breaks.
- Experienced paddler in ocean locations, able to negotiate swell of 2ft.
- Able to read and understand English
Face to face workshop.
An intensive, hands on course that focuses on the major components, with the ability to interact with the trainer and the group.
2 days. With overnight stay.
Overnight accommodation will vary depending on the location. Including:
Hotel, bed & breakfast with private room, or
Cabins at camping site, or
Wild camping where you set up your own tent and cook outdoors.
Personal effects are transported by support vehicle.
At the workshop
- On water practical tour guiding
- Overnight stay in accommodation or wild camping
- Classroom theory
After the workshop
- Submit a written project that demonstrates ability to plan a SUP tour at 2 different locations. One tour must be an overnight tour.
- Choose your proposed overnight SUP tour and conduct the tour with one other person as your student. Prepare a video dossier on conducting your tour.
- Submit a current ASI SUP water rescue or surf rescue certificate
- Submit a current senior first aid certificate
Note: above can be provided within 12 months of enrolment.
Time to Complete
You have 12 months to complete all course requirements.
What we provide:
ASI SUP Tour Guide (Exposed Waters) Training Manual.
ASI membership valid for 12 months.
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- SUP Touring board (or suitable flat water board)
- SUP clothing suitable for longer distance paddling.
- Hydration - camel back or water bottle
- Energy food
- Personal protection e.g sunscreen
- Watch – ideally a GPS watch
- Clothing and personal possessions for overnight stay
ASI Stand Up Paddle Tour Guide (Exposed Waters Coastal)
valid for 12 months
Additional certificate issued:
Renewal requirements. click here
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page. click here