Take your students to another level by providing downwind & distance paddling instruction sessions. Downwind paddling utilises ocean / lake swells and wind to advantage on special SUP boards. You’ll learn how to organise and conduct downwind and distance paddling sessions up to 10 kms (6 miles), and safely manage clients.
Plan, conduct, instruct and safely manage students for stand up paddle downwind and distance paddling sessions, up to 10km (6 miles).
Donwind locations are defined as:
- Inland waters: inland bodies of water, or
- Ocean: coastal ocean locations
Downwind paddling locations are characterised by the wind behind, speed 12 to 20 knots, swell size between 2ft to 4ft, no more than 700 metres (765 yards) from shore.
- Stand Up Paddle Instructor in the SUP or outdoor recreation industry.
- Industry job roles that require SUP knowledge (e.g. marketing, sales, retail)
- Plan and organise logistics for instructing downwind & distance paddling sessions
- Risks and dangers that affect students
- Risk management strategies to ensure safety of students
- Emergency processes and responses
- Suitable downwind and distance paddling SUP boards, equipment, clothing and hydration
- Creating lesson plans for instructing downwind & distance paddling sessions
- Demonstrate and instruct a variety of basic downwind & distance paddling techniques
- Manage students safely and effectively
Before starting this course, you must:
- Have completed a minimum of 40 hours on downwind paddling
- Be able to paddle effectively, safely and with confidence for a distance of 10 km (6 miles) in downwind conditions with swell up to 4ft and with minimum 15 knot winds (Equivalent to ASI SUP Wise Level 3 Downwind Paddling Skills.)
- Hold ASI Level 2 Stand Up Paddle Instructor (Exposed Waters) certificate.
The ASI Level 3 SUP Instructor (Downwind & Distance Paddling) course can be completed by:
Delivery Option - Workshop
This intensive 2 day workshop will focus on completing the major components of the course. Some additional homework is also required to complete assessments and gain practical on-the-job instruction experience.
Ideal for: students who want to cover theory components in an intensive format.
Workshop course requirements:
To receive your ASI Level 1 SUP Instructor (Enclosed Flat Water) certificate you need to:
At the workshop:
- Complete written assessments
- Complete 10 km downwind SUP paddles, in swell up to 2 - 4ft.
- Demonstrate downwind SUP skill and knowledge including: effectively maintaining momentum, catch and ride “bumps”, correct paddling technique, varying stroke rate and length, power up and power down, effectively conserving energy, wipe-out safely at speed, SUP etiquette and rights of way.
After the workshop:
- Prepare 3 x written logistics reports for completing a 10 km (6 mile) downwind paddle session, including submitting 3 x video evidence demonstrating correct technique.
- Complete 25 hours (a minimum of 5 hour sessions) assisting in instructing downwind & distance paddling sessions at an ASI approved downwind SUP school owner or with an ASI Trainer. (Exemption: recognition of previous experience can be provided)
Before or after the workshop:
- Provide personal identification (e.g drivers licence or passport)
- Provide a Senior First Aid Certificate (no more than 3 years old).
- Provide a copy of a 'Surf' Rescue Award certificate.
If you are not able to demonstrate competent downwind paddling skills at the workshop, one additional video assessment can be submitted for free.
Workshop: 2 days
Plus post workshop assessment & practical hours work experience.
You have 12 months from date of workshop to complete all course requirements.
What we provide:
Level 3 Stand Up Paddle Instructor (Downwind & Distance Paddling) Training Manual
Level 3 Assessment & Competency Record Book
Use of ASI Level 2 SUP Instructor (Downwind & Distance Paddling) logo
12 months membership
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- Downwind SUP paddle board (minimum 12ft 6")
- Leash (leg-rope)
- SUP clothing suitable for paddling
- Hydration - camel back or water bottle
- Energy food
- Personal protection e.g sunscreen
- Watch – ideally a GPS watch
ASI Level 3 Stand Up Paddle Instructor (Downwind & Distance Paddling-Inland Waters) Certificate
ASI Level 3 Stand Up Paddle Instructor (Downwind & Distance Paddling-Ocean) Certificate
(valid for 12 months from the date of attending the workshop
Additional certificate issued:
ASI also issues education department approved training certificates. These do not expire.
ASI is an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) with authority to issue NRT certificates.
Australian Department of Education. Registered Training Organisation RTO ID 91496
The following certificate is issued to students undertaking training in Australia.
Statement of Attainment in Certificate IV in Outdoor Recreation (SIS40313)
for units of competency:
TAEDEL401A Plan, organise and deliver group based learning
SISOODR303A Guide outdoor recreation sessions
SISOODR302A Plan outdoor recreation activities
SISOOPS201A Minimise environmental impact practices
SISOSRF201A Demonstrate surf survival and self rescue skills
SISOSRF304A Perform a simple rescue in moderate surf conditions
SISXRSK301A Undertake risk analysis of activities
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page. click here