This course is available as a physical workshop, an online learning course or as a combination of workshop and online with our flexible trainer option. Find more details below and select the best course option for you.
Completing your SUP Instructor qualifications with ASI has many benefits. Take the link here....
This is the entry level course for SUP instructors. Deliver basic SUP lessons, short SUP paddle tours and SUP rentals in enclosed flat water locations.
Qualified to instruct at Enclosed Flat Water locations, defined as:
- inland waterways and bodies of water including creeks, rivers, lakes, lagoons, estuaries, canals
- no wider than 1 km (0.6 miles)
- with no swell or breaking waves
- wind speed less than 12 knots
- no more than 250 metres from shore
- Stand Up Paddle Instructor in the SUP or outdoor recreation industry.
- Industry job roles that require SUP knowledge (e.g. marketing, sales, retail)
- Pathways to higher levels like SUP Tech Coach or to become a SUP yoga teacher, a SUP surfing coach or perhaps a SUP fitness instructor.
- Start your own ASI accredited SUP school.
- The role of the SUP instructor
- Identify laws and regulations that apply to conducting SUP lessons
- Identify enclosed flat water SUP lesson/activity risks and hazards
- Emergency processes and response
- Logistics and how to plan enclosed flat water SUP sessions
- Suitable boards, equipment and resources
- Communication skills for the SUP environment
- Methods to manage clients safely
- Deliver basic SUP lessons and SUP activities
- Understand correct paddling technique including the 5 phases of the paddle stroke
- Identify correct and incorrect technique using ASI assessment competency guide
- Use video analysis to assess your own paddling ability
- Evaluate your own SUP teaching sessions
- Minimise environmental impacts (social & natural)
Before enrolling in this course:
- have at least 100 hours on water SUP paddling experience
- be a competent paddler demonstrating correct SUP stroke technique
- have completed the ASI SUP Wise Intensiv (Enclosed Flat Water) course
- have English speaking skills
Note: There is a transition period where SUP Wise for Instructors course (instead of SUP Wise Intensiv) is required and completed at the same time as L1 SUP instructor BUT only for workshops in Sept and October 2021 in UK & USA. You can enrol in the combined L1 SUP Instructor course. Or contact ASI for more information.
Workshop: An intensive course that focuses on the major components, with the ability to interact with the trainer and the group.
Duration: 2 days.
Online: Study in your own time with ASI's e-learning platform. Upload video to demonstrate skills.
Flexible Trainer: Complete theory online, then organise a 2 hour private session with a trainer to complete the practical assessments, at a time that suits you.
Update: Is for ASI instructors whose qualification have expired. Familiarise yourself with current ASI procedures and skills with online learning. No need to complete practical hours.
ASI's E-learning Platform
ASI's e-learning platform provides access to training manuals, videos, reference materials and assessments. Access is available for all the above delivery options.
- Read online training manuals, view videos and complete multi-choice online tests.
- Demonstrate correct paddling technique.
- Complete paddling mission test -paddle for 1km in under 10 mins.
- Complete 10 hours practical work experience, assisting in the delivery of lessons of tours, at an ASI or approved SUP school. (exemption for update course)
Note: above can be provided within 12 months of enrolment.
Time to Complete
You have 12 months to complete all course requirements.
What we provide:
Level 1 Stand Up Paddle Instructor (Enclosed Flat Water) Online Manual
SUP Instruction Logbook
ASI membership for 12 months
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- Flat water stand up paddle board, paddle, coiled leash
- SUP clothing suitable for paddling
- Computer or mobile phone to access ASI e-learning platform
- Video camera or mobile phone to take video of practical skills (for online learning option)
ASI Level 1 Stand Up Paddle Instructor (Enclosed Flat Water) Certificate
Valid for 12 months
Additional certificate issued:
ASI also issues education department approved training certificates. These do not expire.
ASI is an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and also issues the following certificate to students undertaking training in Australia.
Australian Department of Education. Registered Training Organisation RTO ID 91496.
Statement of Attainment in Certificate IV in Outdoor Leadership SIS40619
for units of competency:
SISOSUP004 Lead stand up paddle boarding activities on inland flatwater
SISOSUP001 Paddle a stand up board on inland flatwater
SISOFLD002 Minimise environmental impact
Each year, ASI SUP Instructors renew their ASI SUP Instructor certificates. Renewal requirements. click here
Do you have a question? See the FAQ's page. click here