The ASI Level 1 Bodyboarding Instructor training course is your first step in becoming a bodyboarding instructor. Learn how to safely deliver lessons, group student management and how to create effective lesson plans. At the end of this course, you will be prepared to start delivering lessons with confidence and a ready to use format.
Deliver, plan and assess beginner to intermediate bodyboarding sessions.
- Beginner level bodyboarding locations: surf no larger than 1½ft (½ metre)
- Intermediate level bodyboarding locations: surf up to 3ft (1 metre)
Bodyboarding instructor in the bodyboarding or outdoor recreation industry.
Industry job roles that require bodyboarding knowledge (e.g. marketing sales, retail, travel)
- The role of the bodyboarding instructor
- Identifying laws and regulations that apply to conducting bodyboarding lessons
- Client management and safety
- Identifying bodyboarding lesson risks and hazards
- Emergency processes and responses
- Logistics and how to plan bodyboarding sessions
- Suitable boards, equipment and resources
- Communication skills for the bodyboarding environment
- Instruction and coaching methods
- Creating lesson plans
- Assessing students performance
- Evaluating bodyboarding sessions
- Minimising environmental impacts (social & natural)
- Abide by student to instructor ratios: maximum of 8 students to 1 accredited instructor.
Before starting this course, you must have:
- ASI intermediate bodyboarding skills - able to perform turns (right-hand, left-hand), bottom turn, top turn, cut-back, spin (forward, reverse spins), roll in 3ft surf
The ASI Level 1 Bodyboarding Instructor course can be completed by:
- Attending a workshop
- Flexible learning
Delivery Option - Workshop
This intensive 3 day workshop will focus on completing the major components of the course. Some additional homework is also required to complete assessments and gain practical on-the-job instruction experience.
Ideal for: students who want to cover theory components in an intensive format.
Workshop course requirements:
In order to gain your Bodyboarding instructors qualification, you will need to:
- Complete written assessments.
- Demonstrate your intermediate level bodyboarding skills.
- Complete a written test to demonstrate your intermediate level bodyboarding knowledge.
- Submit 1 photo or video demonstrating intermediate bodyboarding manoeuvre (cutback or spin).
- Demonstrate beginner level lesson delivery.
After the workshop:
Complete 25 hours practical work experience, assisting in delivering bodyboarding lessons, with an ASI accredited or approved bodyboard school.
Before or after the workshop, provide copies of:
- Personal identification (e.g drivers licence or passport)
- Surf Rescue certificate and Senior First Aid certificate, OR Lifesaving (Combined Rescue & First Aid certificate).
Surf Rescue: Date of certificate is no more than 2 years old from date of completion (or 1 year old for Australia) Find Approved Surf Rescue Training Providers
Senior First Aid: The certificate date must be no more than 3 years old from date of completion. Find Description and Approved Senior First Aid Training Providers
Workshop: 3 days
Plus: post workshop practical work experience
You have 12 months from date of workshop to complete all course requirements.
Delivery Option - Flexible Learning
Work at your own pace. We post out your instructor manuals. Complete assessments and organise practical on-the-job instruction experience to suit your schedule.
Ideal for: students who are experienced bodyboarders, with some previous instruction experience and require flexibility in completing their qualification.
Duration: 12 months to complete the course and return Assessment Record Book to ASI.
What we provide:
Level 1 Bodyboarding Instructor Training Manual
Level 1 Assessment & Competency Record Book
12 months ASI membership
The following equipment and clothing is required to complete the training:
- Surf clothing
- Bodyboard, fins, leash to demonstrate intermediate bodyboarding skills
ASI Level 1 Bodyboarding Instructor
(valid for 12 months from date of workshop)
Additional certificate issued: