ASI is a professional membership organization and international governing body for instructors, coaches and schools in the outdoor recreation industry for surfing, stand up paddle and bodyboarding.
We represent our instructors’ member interests by providing leading edge training courses and career progression, qualifications, renewal and annual accreditation certificates.
We represent our schools member interests by providing comprehensive operational systems with written policies, procedures, risk management, safety and operational forms, insurance, access to the ASI Sports Wise training programs and manuals with educational pathways from beginner to elite level and marketing profile, annual auditing and accreditation certificates.
ASI continuously investigates and researches industry practices and liaises with industry itself and government departments around the world to ensure we are at the leading edge for the provision of education, accreditation and safe practices in this sector.
ASI’s vision is to improve the physical, mental and financial well-being of people through outdoor recreation activities.
ASI’s mission is to create and deliver high quality and relevant training programs, create and monitor safe operating standards, support the career and professional aspirations of our members and provide THE international standard that is recognized and consistent throughout the world.
ASI operates in over 20 countries around the world. Our head office is in Bondi Beach Sydney Australia, with offices in UK, Portugal, USA, Bali and Philippines.
ASI is a dedicated training organisation, governed by Government education department criteria. We are the only organisation in this industry to hold such recognition. It means ASI programs are of the highest educational and safety standard worldwide. More info…..
ASI was established in 2003, by Nigel Hutton-Potts and Tania Nesbitt. Based in Bondi Beach Australia, Potts has spent his life surfing, and is highly respected in the surfing community in Australia. Nesbitt, is a qualified accountant (CPA), with expertise in business systems and controls, troubleshooting and setting up compliance regulation for training businesses. In response to the lack of recreational education and safety standards in the surfing industry, Potts & Nesbitt decided to set up ASI that would identify surfing standards and create and publish learn to surf books. They were then asked to create surfing instruction qualifications and accreditation standards in Australia, by surf school owners, who were disillusioned by the current sports association’s educational standards.
People around the world heard about ASI, wanted to be part of ASI and wanted to be trained by ASI. Stand Up Paddle standards were created by ASI in 2008 and bodyboarding in 2010.
And that is how ASI was born and how it has grown to be where it is today.
2003: ASI developed the international standard for instructors and school accreditation,
and was the FIRST and only organisation offering international training and accreditation.
2008: Published a 450 page research report into Council (local government) permit and tendering requirements for Surf School operations in Australia
- Identified and created the learn to surf skills framework for beginner, intermediate and advanced levels and covering 10 levels of progression skills. There was NO identified surfing skill levels previously.
- Created and published the complete set of learn to surf manuals for beginner, intermediate and advanced levels, sold worldwide
- Created 4 levels of surfing instructor qualifications and career pathways.
- Created the ONLY Traditional Surfing Judge criteria and judges certification (covering loggers, timber and pre 78 surf craft)
- Created the world’s FIRST instructor qualification for teaching improver-intermediate skills.
Stand Up Paddle
In 2008, ASI was contacted by Jamie Mitchell, (world renowned paddle boarding champion) for insurance. As a result, and together with Will Anido and Darren Borg (associates of Mitchell and elite paddlers), ASI created the world’s FIRST stand up paddle qualifications, educational SUP terminology, framework and school operating standards.
ASI offers an extensive range of SUP qualifications, educational courses and career progression. Recognized as the world’s best and caters for flat water, exposed waters, SUP surfing, downwinding, SUP rescue skills, SUP surfing judging, race skills, technical SUP skill analysis criteria suitable for video analysis, yoga and fitness.
2010: Created the world’s FIRST bodyboarding accreditation standards for learn to bodyboard levels, instructors and standards for bodyboard school operations.
- Endorsed by the Australian Department of Education, with ASI training, assessment and resources undergoing strict audits to ensure quality is maintained. More info…..
- NSW Parks and Wildlife approved accreditation program provider (covers school operational, safety and environmental standards)
- NSW Tourism Department, recognised surf school tourism accreditation provider (covers operational and safety standards)
- Recognised by all councils that have accreditation and instructor permit requirements.
- NSW Maritime recognised provider for Stand Up Paddle waterways permits.
Department of Tourism - appointed as the sole surfing instructor training provider under the Philippines surf tourism scheme
United Kingdom (UK)
- Adventure Activity Licencing Authority (AALA) recognised training provider. AALA is the government department of UK Health & Safety responsible for licencing adventure activity centres providing activities for children (under 18 years of age)
- Cornwall Council (England) WAVES surf school licence scheme recognised provider
- Broads Authority (covering Norfolk and Suffolk, England waterways) recognised SUP training provider
- Partnered with Community Action Sports (government funded initiative) to develop the Urban Surf program for youngsters from challenging backgrounds and currently delivered through ASI surf schools. Urban Surf program awarded Inspire mark under the ‘London 2012 Inspire’ programme.