ASI (Academy of Surfing Instructors), is the worldwide peak body for Instructors and Coaches in the outdoor recreation and sport industry for surfing, stand up paddle and bodyboarding.
ASI leads the world in the development of standards for education, accreditation of coaches and schools / activity centres, professional development and ongoing support.
We are dedicated to creating high quality training programs and safe operating standards that are consistent and recognised throughout the world.
We also provide a range of services to our members and act as an advocate on their behalf.
ASI operates in over 20 countries around the world. Our head office is in Bondi Beach Sydney Australia, with offices in UK, Portugal, USA, Bali and Philippines.
ASI recognises that outdoor recreation and sports activities contribute to health, fitness, competitive sport and recreational enjoyment and ASI is committed to growth and success of these activities in all locations across the world.
ASI continuously investigates and researches industry practices around the world to ensure we are at the leading edge for the provision of education, accreditation and safe practices in this sector.
ASI has created the world’s first international standard in this industry and is committed to ensuring ASI instructors and coaches have the skills and ability to work in any location in the world.
- Creating leading edge high quality educational materials and curriculum, that provide proper educational outcomes to make learning fun, easy and safe.
- Implementing high safety standards for coaches and instructors when delivering activities – and cancelling activities if conditions are unsafe.
- Encouraging instructors and coaches to be constantly engaging in self learning to ensure they provide the best and highest quality training in the industry.
- Foster growth of the industry by providing sports participation pathways from entry level to elite level.
- Contribute to an industry environment that people want to be a part of: free of petty politics, anti-competitive behaviour and unsavoury practices.
- Collaborating with all stake holders in the industry, across the world, to ensure best practices are implemented and consistent throughout the world.
- Supporting individuals to develop their potential for a career in the industry including instructors offering their services to the public, volunteer coaches working with not-for-profit or other organisations or becoming a competition athlete.